The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blanc Slate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Blanc Slate

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:20 pm

• 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/15/2021)
    If ever there was a Sauvignon Blanc that had some Riesling sensibilities…

Seriously though, I am a dedicated Sauvignon Blanc skeptic. I have tried so many, from Vatan to Dageneau to Bevan to Cloudy Bay, and I just cannot find a way to love it. The Massican Sauvignon Blanc came close. The Bedrock Steaks of William Holden or whatever came close. This wine comes closer. The fruit is all about citrus and peach (sounds like Riesling), the acidity is front and center (sounds like Riesling). There is a simultaneously chalky and creamy note on the finish, and a hit of herbs that don’t seem like Riesling, but then the mouthwatering acidity kicks in again. Hmm…I could like this. Maybe. I’ll leave a couple of glasses in the bottle to see tomorrow night. Keeping an open mind.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Blanc Slate

by Rahsaan » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:27 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Seriously though, I am a dedicated Sauvignon Blanc skeptic. I have tried so many, from Vatan to Dageneau to Bevan to Cloudy Bay, and I just cannot find a way to love it...

Well you certainly appear to be dedicated to something, although that may be repeated attempts to confirm/disprove your inclination. Bravo for all the efforts. Although 'love' is perhaps a high bar. I've enjoyed my share of Sauvignon Blanc but now that I think about it, it never excited me enough to keep buying it, and it's been years since I've had one. You probably drink it more often than I do, despite my having waxed enthusiastic about Vatan/Chavignol.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Blanc Slate

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:34 am

For the most part it's trying wines from producers I know and respect - thinking "maybe this one will be different."

And they are different, but not different enough for me to buy another bottle. Only a couple of wines have ever crossed that line. I could certainly drink more of this Bedrock, but given how many of its positive characteristics echo Riesling I might as well just open a dry RIesling!
Decisions are made by those who show up