The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Most Pretentious Wine Name

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Most Pretentious Wine Name

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:03 pm

There are rude wine names, pretentious wine names, silly wine names....

Some that are humourous like Stu Pedasso Cellars in Sonoma sells Sonoma Beach Zin (try saying it to yourself) is just funny, as is Goats Do Roam from South Africa, and just about anything from Bonny Doon.

Opus One is on the pretentiously side but also classy and I have no problem with it. Ditto for Dominus.

What do you think are the most pretentious? I am going to nominate a BC winery called Blasted Church which markets a rather pedestrian cabernet as 'Nectar of the Gods'.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Most Pretentious Wine Name

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:01 pm

Dirty Laundry Woo Woo Gewurztraminer, BC.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Paillard Ne Plus Ultra Champagne
Girardin Quintessence Corton-Charlemagne
I think also a Napa winery called Quintessa
Sine Qua Non
Lots of Ultima/Ultime and variations
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:48 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Paillard Ne Plus Ultra Champagne
Girardin Quintessence Corton-Charlemagne
I think also a Napa winery called Quintessa
Sine Qua Non
Lots of Ultima/Ultime and variations

I wonder if Paillard would go after another house if they used Ne Plus Ultra? It is already in use by one Scotch producer and probably by quite a few more, but I don't recall any wines offhand.

And agree that Sine Qua Non is pretentious but they avoid some flak from the plebs by putting it in Latin (which ironically is actually more pretentious) , although it doesn't really mean 'the best', it means a prerequisite or something one must have, which is a little different.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:28 pm

Ultramarine certainly strikes the tone, but the wines deserve the “ultra” moniker.

As much as I love the wine, the Selbach-Oster ‘Ur Alte Reben’ has always struck me as pretentious.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:27 pm

To me saying necessary/prerequisite is pretty pretentious!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:37 am

David M. Bueker wrote:As much as I love the wine, the Selbach-Oster ‘Ur Alte Reben’ has always struck me as pretentious.

Do you feel the same way about 'Très Vielles Vignes'?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:36 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:As much as I love the wine, the Selbach-Oster ‘Ur Alte Reben’ has always struck me as pretentious.

Yes, since there’s no standard.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

Yes, since there’s no standard.

Yes, the lack of standard for these things is infuriating. Especially when you have some producers using the words with much younger vines than other producers that don't use the words. But, I suppose marketing serves a purpose!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:04 pm

One (positive) thing you can say about the Germans is the code they have for wine naming, which came into effect in 1971, Unfortunately that only applies to the 'classified' wine levels and not to regular tafelwein, hence the names like Eins, Zwei, Dry (Leitz)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:30 pm

Beyond guffawing over Kendall Jackson's 'Reserve', I've never considered any names pretentious. My mind just doesn't bother to judge. Opus One, yes, but only after discovering that the attitude at the winery itself is OTT pretentious--once you have that experience, you can't not make the connection.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Beyond guffawing over Kendall Jackson's 'Reserve',.

I've probably told you about the American Wine Society tasting that featured Kendall Jackson, many years ago. I think at the time they had Reserve, Special or Vintner's Reserve and Grand Reserve and that was all. It irked me so I put my hand up and asked the winery rep whether it was accurate to say that KJ applied the label 'Reserve' to any wine they hadn't poured down the drain. He waffled but then finally had to admit it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:01 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:One (positive) thing you can say about the Germans is the code they have for wine naming, which came into effect in 1971, Unfortunately that only applies to the 'classified' wine levels and not to regular tafelwein, hence the names like Eins, Zwei, Dry (Leitz)

I suppose you can get annoyed by that wine, but it’s specifically meant to be mass market, so not aimed at us.

That said there are so many exceptions to the 1971 rules (including real changes) these days I think picking out one is kind of silly.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:19 am

Goats do Roam is from Fairview winery who are as (or even more) famous in South Africa for their cheeses , some of which have beaten similar French cheeses in France. Milk from their herd of goats is used to make their popular goats cheeses.

The name Goat do Roam was used as a way of indicating the wine style without using the banned words Cotes du Rhone. Understandably the French got very agitated.....

There is now a range of Goats wines, including Goat Rotie (showing a goat leaping over a fire), Goats do Roam in Villages and later Bored Doe.

Blasted Church and Dirty Laundry each had a rebranding from the same company - Brandever in Vancouver - and it certainly worked. Dirty Laundry is off the main highway and needs searching out but they had to vastly expand their car park, and they were packed when we visited.

FWIW - all these labels with their stories are in my Marilyn Merlot & the Naked Grape book
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:44 am

while there is no standard, I don't find TVV or Ur Alte Reben pretentious. Everyone I can think of who says VV or TVV really makes wines only from old vines. How old varies, but I don't know anyone making wines from 20, 30 or 40 year vines saying that. So it's just a statement of source, not pretension.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:00 pm

'Reserve' does have specific meaning in some wine regions. The German term 'Kabinett' roughly corresponds to 'reserve' in English. So, in a way, does 'Auslese' (select harvest). In RIoja, 'reserva' and 'gran reserva' have minimum barrel aging times associated with them.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:13 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:' In RIoja, 'reserva' and 'gran reserva' have minimum barrel aging times associated with them.
-Paul W.

And the extra time in wood doesn't necessarily improve the wine, although I suppose it might make the drinking window a bit earlier than less wood might.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Bill wrote:
And the extra time in wood doesn't necessarily improve the wine, although I suppose it might make the drinking window a bit earlier than less wood might.

True to some extent, but an extended barrel aging, with a desirable top up regime, could actually contribute to a wine's ageability once bottled;

Salute
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:50 pm

True, Victor, but it can also result in a loss of freshness and an almost woody character to the wine. In Cognac, they also keep brandy in well used small cooperage but after a certain number of years usually take it out before it becomes, as they put it, boisé, taking on some undesirable woody flavours.. (The other reason is that all the time in cask, the spirit is evaporating and they have to periodically top off, which dilutes the alcoholic strength).

I agree that Rioja doesn't get nearly the same length of time in wood, but I do find some Gran Reservas (I expect the ones that have been in wood more than the mandatory 2 years) that have taken on flavours from the wood that I feel makes them slightly less attractive/enjoyable for me.