The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 02 Christoffel with belated Mardi Gras

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 02 Christoffel with belated Mardi Gras

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:01 am

We had forgotten that Tuesday was Mardi Gras till it was too late, but we decided to celebrate a day late with some NO-influenced food. Betsy had all day rehearsals, I said I'd do dinner, and found a simple seafood etouffee recipe. It had a lot of tomatoes, and reminded me of jambalaya more than etouffee, I added some andouille and called it "dinner", as it was a bit of a hybrid. Wine was the 2002 J.J. Christoffel Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett (this is from the PC blowout, and has a natural cork- my white-market bottle of the same had synthetic I believe). Nice light to medium bodied Riesling, main focus on the palate is peach fruit, with little notes of lime and strawberry. Finish isn't especially long, but a nice slatey edge. Good acidity and light sweetness, balances well with the cayenne in the etoulaya- I mean jambafee- I mean dinner. B/B+, solid A for QPR at the $7.99 price.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Kevin C

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Broussard, LA

Re: WTN: 02 Christoffel with belated Mardi Gras

by Kevin C » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:28 pm

Happy Mardi Gras, Dale! Don't think I've ever had an etoufee down here that had much tomato in it...oh well, creativity in the kitchen can be fun
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:04 am

J.J. Christoffel for $8=VERY BAD staff, or VERY BAD wholesaler.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:39 am

Kevin,
I think of etouffee as a "blonde" roux dish without tomatoes, that's why I didn't really think of it as etouffee. But it had no okra (to me gumbo must have okra), and the rice was served as a side, not cooked in it, so not really jambalaya. But it did have Cajun/Creole flavor profile

Bill,
Premier Cru bought a load of 2002/2003 Christoffel from a European (Beglain I think I remember)wholesaler and brought them in as grey market imports. $7.99 for Kabinetts and Spatlesen, $10-12 for Auslesen, $15-17 for the starred Auslesen. The importers of record were not pleased.