The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: BDx, Nahe,Tuscan, Bojo, Loire, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: BDx, Nahe,Tuscan, Bojo, Loire, etc

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:49 am

2007 Arlewood “Emerald”Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon (Margaret River)
Under screwcap this has held well, but unfortunately don’t think there was much there to start with. Mild pear and mango fruit, a hint of grass, quiet and a bit dilute. C+

Black pepper chicken with mango, rum, and cashews (had to run to BIL’s house for the dark rum, I wasn’t spending $40 for a liter of Myers when I needed 2 tablespoons). The 2010 Emrich
Monzinger Fruhlingsplätzchen Riesling Spatlese w
as delicious. Vibrant, electric acidity balancing the RS, sweet orange and pear fruit, apple blossoms, a touch of wax. Finish is long and slatey. The only bad thing is I think my only bottle. A-

Over to a friend’s for a lovely dinner. We started with cheeses (I particularly liked the Jasper Hill Harbison), charcuterie, & smoked salmon

NV Ulysse Collin “Les Maillons” Blanc de Noirs Extra Brut
(Disg: 2016 but I didn’t note month)
Full, nutty, with pit fruits and brioche. Quite long. B+/A-

NV Taittinger “Folies de la Marquetterie” Brut
. Cathleen said this was at least 12 years old, and a little worried it might be past it, but it was fine, and actually improved over a couple of hours. Lovely citrus and apple framed with biscuit and honeycomb notes, elegant mousse, nice finish. B+

Dinner was Georgian-styled lamb , farro salad, green beans
1970 Ch. Beychevelle
Elegant old school St Julien, cassis and black plum, cigarbox. Enjoyed by all. B+/A-

2001 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou
Young, but with easy tannins, making it pretty approachable. Cassis, green tobacco leaf, and pencil shavings. Firm, delicious with the lamb, long future ahead. A-

Grey sole, scallion pancake, and broccoli, with the 2018 Louis Michel Butteaux Chablis 1er, Lovely flavors of sweet apple, citrus zest, and chalk, but this is just a bit rounder than my Chablis ideal, B/B+

Sunday invited over a friend whose wife is out of town. I made a scallop crudo (daikon, citrus, mint) to start
2020 Pepiere “Briords”Muscadet 1er
Stony, tensile, long. My year to year fasve QPR. B++

Main course was pork with turnips and rice, with bok choy on the same.

1999 Felsina Fontalloro
Fully mature but not tired, good acids, dried cherry, black cherry, old leather, touch of rose petal. Full bodied, savory, long. A-/B+
2020 Coudert/Clos de la Roilette Fleurie
Less ripe than the recent Tardive, crunchy red fruits, floral, tangy. Needs some sir. B+

Busy day Monday preparing for travel we got takeout of Shrimp burrito, avocado salad
2020 Edmunds St John Bone Jolly Gamay Rose
Fun and fruity (cherry, plim, watermelon) with a sagey herb note and a full rich style. Very food versatile. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: BDx, Nahe,Tuscan, Bojo, Loire, etc

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:15 pm

You had a very good week!

I am enjoying the 2018 Michel Chablis, Butteaux VV and MdT. Rounder yes, but still nicely put together. I got around to Michel later than most, but with the pricing of upper tier Chablis I am now a regular buyer.
Decisions are made by those who show up