The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clash of the Titans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Clash of the Titans

by Jenise » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:24 pm

Four stand-out wines on Thanksgiving, so in and of themselves a success. But also successful, each and every one, as my brother who has developed an allergy that is causing serious lung and stomach issues, was able to partake in all four and not experience any next-day repercussions. White wine is now out completely, and some reds have bothered where some didn't. Testing him on older reds where the sulfites have aged out was the next step. A trio of 2000-2002 Bordeaux succeeded a week or so ago, and now these.

2006 Arcadian Syrah Westerly Vineyard Santa Ynez Valley
The last bottle of this I opened I took to one of Bill's lunches, pre-Covid. It was my back-up bottle and when we decided to hang out after all the group had gone and order pizza, I opened this. Bill and I agreed it was the best bottle of the day. It was orange-y red and all secondary development. This one drank much younger. Vibrant red and black fruits with sage and a bit of barnyard going on (in a good way)--combined with the memory of the other bottle, both were closer to Pegau than what we associate with New World syrahs/syrah blends. Outstanding.

2006 Copain Pinot Noir "En Haut" Kiser Anderson Valley
Lightly jammy cherry/raspberry fruit with a hint of ripe iodine notes in the background. Enjoyable, but on Thanksgiving that ripeness made it the least interesting of all the wines opened. Drink sooner than later.

2013 MacPhail Pinot Noir Sundawg Ridge Vineyard Sonoma Coast
Classic California pinot flavors at peak--great fruit with lightly leathery nuances to account for bottle age, and there's a lot of runway left. Should easily hold in a cool cellar for the next 2-5 years. Wish I had more.

2012 Nicholas Keeler Pinot Noir Authentique Keeler Estate Vineyard Eola - Amity Hills
First experience with this producer. Dark cherry, cinnamon, and other Asian spices dominate the mid-palate and cola berry and mineral sail thru on the finish. No sediment. Classy on every level, and at peak. Drink over the next year.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Clash of the Titans

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Love the Arcadian Syrahs. FYI, Joe Davis is quietly selling off library wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:30 pm

He IS????? Hmmm!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:47 pm

Jenise wrote:He IS????? Hmmm!

It’s by email.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:52 pm

Oh I'm sure, and I'm sure there are plenty of takers. I'm not on his list.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh I'm sure, and I'm sure there are plenty of takers. I'm not on his list.

I am not either. I dropped him an email, and he sent me the list.