The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A stand-alone Counoise

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: A stand-alone Counoise

by Jenise » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:35 pm

2014 Tamarack Cellars Counoise Ciel du Cheval Vineyard Red Mountain
2nd to last bottle of a case. Four years ago these were medium bodied and comparable to heavier new world pinots, but with bottle age they've become fuller bodied and are more comparable in sweetness and spice to zinfandel. Not a mate for pasta, in other words, but perfect for barbecue and some stews. Sorry it's not grown and bottled as a stand-alone variety in Washington state--there's a place for this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A stand-alone Counoise

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Sounds yummy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: A stand-alone Counoise

by Jenise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:23 pm

They're quite good. I bought a bottle, loved it, then ordered six more, drained those, and then picked up six more some time later. There are very few wines that captivate me that way. I have a zillion line items in my cellar because I want to taste everything, so when I buy just three of something, that's actually quite a lot.* Best I can tell this winery hasn't bottled counoise since. And I've only seen the grape from one other Washington winery, and again that was a one-off.

*Admittedly, though, I'd buy case lots of Bionic Frog if I could afford them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov