The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WT4Nights: Thankful for Cal-Ital

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

WT4Nights: Thankful for Cal-Ital

by Pat G » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:08 pm

Domenico Winery Aglianico, Amador County, 2012

Stood bottle up for 3 days before opening. Excellent clarity, garnet with rosy rim. Medium + legs. Aromas are dark fruit dominant: blueberry, black currant. Also noted, but had to work to discern, light toast, eucalyptus and/or menthol, hint of soy. Medium/full body, very smooth and polished texture. Medium finish, medium acidity. Impression: at or near prime. Primarily Aglianico, but the addition of Merlot seems reflected in the smoothness and blueberry. Drink now or in 2022. Glad we have one more bottle. A splurge for Thanksgiving.

Back story: a few years ago, the 2006 vintage was our WOTY. I remember serving it with a beef dish and the pairing was fabulous. So I contacted the winery and bought a half-case of various wines, with 2 of the Aglianico as first choices. All the others are long gone, but this varietal had the aging potential. First opened using Coravin, used Coravin for 3 days, then got simple. Removed cork, Vacuvin, save for Thanksgiving. And it was still very good. Finish and acidity almost the same as first 3 days.

I preferred to serve a domestic for Thanksgiving. This was a good pairing with slow cooker pork roast. The wine likes meat.

Cheers!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WT4Nights: Thankful for Cal-Ital

by Jenise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:56 pm

Interesting! I've never had a domestic Aglianico.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:36 pm

Palmina Wines, Lompoc, is another Cal-Ital vintner I've enjoyed. No Aglianico, but Nebbiolo and Barbera. I even tasted a sparkling Nebbiolo there.

I can probably source Italian wines of the same varietals for less, but domestic is part of the adventure for me.

Cheers and stay safe, Jenise!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:38 pm

I'm familiar with Palmina and like them a lot. A merlot long ago was a head-turner as was a pinot grigio we ordered at a restaurant.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov