The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two New Stolpmans & a Calif Nero d'Avola...(short/borin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two New Stolpmans & a Calif Nero d'Avola...(short/borin

by TomHill » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Tried these three reds over the weekend:
1. StolpmanVnyds Crunchy/Roastie SoFresh BallardCnyn/SantaBarbaraCnyn (12.5%; 95% Syrah/5% Viognier; Sans Soufre/Extended Elevage) Orcutt 2019: Med.dark color; fairly strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/slight peppery bit herbal very light toasty/oak slight funky/natty slight Rhonish/smokey rather interesting nose; rather tart/tangy light Syrah/blackberry/blueberry/spicy bit peppery/maybe some whole-cluster slight funky/lean bit toasty/oak rather atypical SBC Syrah flavor w/ light tangy tannins; med.long fairly tart/tangy light blackberry/blueberry/Syrah slight peppery/w-c/Rhonish/smokey light toasty/oak finish w/ light tangy tannins; rather atypical of Stolpman Syrah & not the richness & texture they typically show; a rather atypical interesting rendition of SBC Syrah; would like a bit more impact but it is what it is; "crunchy" is a good descriptor. $22.50 (KK)
2. StolpmanVnyd Trousseau StolpmanVnyd/BallardCnyn/SantaBarbaraCnyn (12%) 2020: Med.light ruby color; rather fragrant earthy/loamy/bit rustic/Languedoc-like light floral/rose petal/plummy/bit Bojo-like somewhat interesting nose; fairly tart/tangy some bright/cherry/plummy bit floral/rose petal some earthy/loamy some rustic bit Bojo-like (but not as grapey) flavor w/ light gentle tannins; med.long light cherry/plummy/rose petal fairly earthy/loamy/rustic finish w/ light gentle tannins; reminds a lot of Counoise but not as bright/cherry in character & much more earthy/loamy; a pleasant enough Bojo-style red but just that. $27.50 (KK)
3. MarthaStouman Nero d'Avola/MendoCnty (12.4%) V&B by MarthaStouman/Napa 2016: Med.dark color; strong licorice/boysenberry/Nd'A earthy/loamy/dusty/OV some MendoCnty/tomatoey quite rustic nose; soft strong licorice/boysenberry/Nd'A quite rustic/coarse/earthy/loamy MendoCnty/tomatoey slight tangy/metallic/rather sour flavor w/ ample coarse tannins; long strong earthy/loamy/coarse/rustic some blackberry/Nd'A some MendoCnty/tomatoey rather sour finish w/ ample coarse tannins; if Nd'A is about rough/coarse wines, this is it; but not a wine that offers up any pleasure.
1. Stolpman: Not sure exactly what's going on at StolpmanVnyds. This Combe & SoFresh are pretty drastic departures from the classic style of Stolpman wines. Not sure if PeterStolpman is moving towards "natural" winemaking or what. They are making several different lines of wines that are a departure from their traditional style. And some of them at pretty frightening prices ($80-$100/btl). Would be curious if anyone knows the story.
Both of these were pretty atypical of the traditional Stolpman style. Can't say that I was taken by either one of these wines. Interesting...but just that.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Two New Stolpmans & a Calif Nero d'Avola...(short/b

by Jenise » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:24 pm

A friend in my local wine tasting group is increasingly anti any conventionally made American wine. He's into natural wines but to me and others they often taste of plastic and other unnatural things. I have him to thank for a "Crunchy/Roastie". Did not like.

And I'm very surprised to see a California NdA. I don't even care for the imports--their popularity here seems attributable to the fact that they're low priced pizza wines. The trouble and expense of reproducing that in California--why?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov