The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: big CA, Burgs, Bdx, Tuscan, ESJ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: big CA, Burgs, Bdx, Tuscan, ESJ

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:08 pm

(from memory)
Betsy and I flew to Atlanta to spend Thanksgiving with my brother. Tuesday night he took us to his club (no sign, secret entrance!). We shared deviled eggs, a truly great burger, lobster pot pie, and then I had a pork chop with collards and sweet potato for my main. I lost my scribbled notes from GA, but that night we started with the 2006 Daniel-Etienne Defaix “Vaillons” Chablis 1er, my fave of the night. No premox here, nice flinty Chablis finish, just a hint of nutty age, really fun. The reds were a bit of a departure from my normal fare. The 2005 Saxum “Rocket Block James Berry Vineyard” was fullthrottle high octane Grenache, while the 2013 Colgin IX
EstateCabernet Sauvignon
was the Cab equivalent. Generous offerings from my brother and his friend, but a single pour was enough for me. But fun to experience.

Wednesday night while we did some T’giving dinner prep we had Vietnamese takeout (pho, spring rolls, seafood with vermicelli, eggplant, etc). Wine was the 2018 Phifer Pavitt Sauvignon Blanc No apparent oak,, citrus and peach, I think I wrote down lemongrass, pretty good but maybe a bit hot. We had early afternoon Thanksgiving (the big bird, ham, dressing, roasted root vegetables, a green salad) so skipped wine, but after a trip to see lights at botanical garden (pretty cool) we opened a Reustle Prayer Rock Pinot Noir Reserve (vintage was in lost notes). Never heard of Reustle before, and not even sure where in Oregon Umpqua Valley is. But this was a pretty decent balanced PN.

Friday brother grilled some tuna and wahoo along with broccoli, wine was the 2014 Girardin “Combettes” Puligny-Montrachet.1er.. I’m not usually a big Girardin fan, but this was a lovely crisp full-bodied white Burg that I’d drink any night.

(From notes)
Saturday we flew back, Betsy made bolognese and broccoli rabe, I opened the 1985 Col D'orcia Brunello Di Montalcino. Fading fast, muted black cherry fruit, leather, autumn leaves. But Betsy liked so I didn’t open backup. It actually rallied a bit. C+/B_

Sunday Dana was with us for dinner, oysters with ramp mignonette, followed by beef brisket,sweet potato latkes (from an Indian cookbook), and salad

2019 Champs l”Abbaye Bourgogne Blanc
Rounder than expected, peach and melon, ripe and easy. B/B-

2000 Bahans Haut Brion
Sweet ripe black cherry fruit, but not at all fat, tobacco and iron filings. I’m not usually a buyer of seconds but glad I did here. A-/B+

Monday Jean Georges salmon in a miso yuzu broth, one of my fave dishes of the year, but no wine as I was going to city later.

Tuesday was dibby-dabby (Leftovers) night. Bolognese, salmon, broccoli. Chinese mustard greens.
2019 Edmunds St John Bone Jolly Gamay Noir
Light color, tart raspberry and cranberry, some leafy green notes, pleasing and food friendly. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: big CA, Burgs, Bdx, Tuscan, ESJ

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:24 pm

Saxum and Colgin at the same meal...I am surprised you didn't going into Wine Geek shock. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:56 pm

The Umpqua Valley is just south of Eugene, a warmer climate several hours due south of the Willamette Valley. I've not had that producer but the guy who runs a good wine bar in town is a big fan so I'll probably get around to it one of these days.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:34 pm

I made business trips out to the Umpqua Valley (supplier visits) back in the late 1990s. I bet things have changed a good bit since then.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Probably so, recent fires notwithstanding.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov