The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: PaprasWnry Pleiades Roditis Greece NV..... (short/borin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: PaprasWnry Pleiades Roditis Greece NV..... (short/borin

by TomHill » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:33 pm

I try as many skin-contact whites as I can and a lot of natural wines as well. Tried this one Fri night w/ Susan:
1. Pleiadesa Roditis PGI: Tyrnavos/Greece (Certified Organic; Eklektikon/Wilmington/DE; www.Eklektikon.com; 12.5%; 21 days of skin & 50% stem contact) PaprasWnry/Tyrnavos/Greece NV (2020): Burnished bronze/brown very murky/cloudy color once the extensive sediment was shaken up; very volatile/acetic/burning quite natty/earthy/unclean/some mousey/hantavirus rather orangey very unpleasant nose; soft very volatile/acetic/vinegar no fruit very unclean/natty/mousey/sour dreadful flavor that burns/sears the palate; long very acetic/vinegar bit orangey no fruit quite unclean/mousey very sour finish; a dreadful/mousey/natty extremely volatile/acetic undrinkable wine w/ a terrible wet dog fur aftertaste that goes on & on; exactly the kind of wine that gives natural wine such a bed rep. $20.00 (KK)
1. I try as many skin-contact whites as I can come across. And quite a few natural wines as well. I'm fairly tolerant of the natty character in a lot of the natural wines if it's not excessive. This wine combined the worst of both worlds. An excessive acetic volatile acidity that burns the nostrils plus an unclean mousey character that is uterly repulsive. Combine that w/ virtually no fruit, this wine ranks right up there next to the recent Radikon Rosso in undrinkability. I tried this wine on several wines friends w/o comment. They were equally repulsed by this wine.
Roditis is a grape variety common in Greece, mostly used in production of Retsina. It is not known for producing particularly distinguished wines. I've had a number of Retsina wines. If the kiss of pine tar is fairly light, they can actually be quite good wines.
Eklektikon has a very interesting portfolio of Greek wines, many of which look interesting. I can't tell if they specilize in natural wines but, given they come thru PMWines/Taos, I would assume so. I'd like to try some of there other wines...but pretty leery to do so.
Tom