The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Miscellany from the past week

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Miscellany from the past week

by Jenise » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:04 pm

NV Philipponnat Champagne Royale Réserve Brut Champagne Blend
Not sure when this was bottled, I've owned it for about 4 years. Has the Royale's typical ripe opulence but less bubble persistence than expected for a tight cork so texturally, it disappointed.

2008 Buty Syrah Beast Clonal Selection #174 Phinny Hill Vineyard Horse Heaven Hills
A good claret-style syrah (not sweet nor Shiraz-y, but not funky or gamey like a Rhone or typical WA either). Very good initially but showed a wee bit of fade in the second glass. Drink sooner than later.

2016 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc Reserve To-Kalon Vineyard Napa Valley
Complex and grassy Sauv Blanc fruit with green apple, cucumber, citrus and lemongrass notes, with depth and a little waxiness from some semillon. Probably the best wine-food match of the week, this with a salad course of little gem lettuce in a tangerine vinaigrette topped with a sizzling chunk of fried camembert cheese.

2016 Kirkland Signature Brunello di Montalcino Sangiovese

Brought by a well-meaning guest and a perfect example of why I never find Costco's house branded wines worth recommending. They always fall short of what they're supposed to be. This was fairly light in color and body for a Brunello, plus it's on the softer/easy-drinker side for just five years old. Pleasant, but wouldn't be a buyer.

2013 Efeste Petit Verdot Estate Petit Verdot Taylor Mag Red Mountain
Brought by a friend for Xmas Eve and by far the most satisfying red on the table for prime rib. Lovely red fruit and violet nose with effusive brambly boysenberry fruit on the palate. A shame that if PV can be this good, it's not bottled alone more often.

2017 Spring Valley Vineyard Frederick Walla Walla Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
A highly respected WA Bordeaux blend which showed very green, not TCA but like underripe cab franc and it didn't open up during the meal. Napping deeply and in need of more sleep. HOLD.

2018 Failla Chardonnay Sonoma Coast
Light, but charming enough for a turkey dinner wherein for the sake of politeness I was going to have stuff like fruit-cocktail-Jello salad on my plate.

2015 Liquid Farm Pinot Noir SMV Solomon Hills & Bien Nacido Santa Maria Valley
Light red fruit with some citrus and spice. Very little body. Good but not Very Good or Excellent, more at the level of a $20 pinot than the $55 I paid for it, which surprised considering my regard for this winery's chardonnays.

2010 Novy Family Wines Syrah Garys' Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
Dark purple color, earthy flavors, tannins fairly resolved. At peak for current drinking and probably starting the descent. Drink over the next year.

2018 Rasa Vineyards Chardonnay Dream Deferred Frenchman Hills Vineyard Royal Slope
Flinty aroma and limestone minerality; very Puligny-like but for the 14.4% alcohol which showed more last night than it had back in April when I purchased.

1994 Beringer Vineyards Pinot Noir Stanly Ranch Carneros
Great color but mousy, musty flavors (however, a bottle six months ago was great).

1994 Delaforce Vintage Port
Decanted in the a.m. day I served it. Astonishing amount of detritis came out, had to empty the little filter funnel twice. What was left behind to drink was softly pleasurable but low in acidity. Not great, but my guests have never had anything like '77 Fonseca so I was the only person who wasn't pleased. Did go very well, however, with Stilton blue and bosc pears poached in a bottle of Borsao grenache with various whole spices.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Miscellany from the past week

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:53 pm

I suspect that selling Petit Verdot is a bit of a chore.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:40 pm

Agreed, David, probably requires a handsell to the uninitiated. But I sure liked this one, and it put the 2004 Pontet Canet I had opened in the shade.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Agreed, David, probably requires a handsell to the uninitiated. But I sure liked this one, and it put the 2004 Pontet Canet I had opened in the shade.

Interesting. I love 2004 Pontet Canet.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:35 pm

Petit verdot got its name ("the little green one") for a reason. As I understand it, it's the last of the major Bordeaux varieties to ripen and often the end-of-season rains come before it's fully ripe. Yet the Bordelais continue to plant it because of the wonderful qualities it brings to the wine when it does ripen. So it doesn't surprise me that petit verdot does well in a climate where it can ripen reliably.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:43 pm

"2008 Buty Syrah Beast Clonal Selection #174 Phinny Hill Vineyard Horse Heaven Hills [/b]
A good claret-style syrah (not sweet nor Shiraz-y, but not funky or gamey like a Rhone or typical WA either). Very good initially but showed a wee bit of fade in the second glass. Drink sooner than later."

For those who are Buty fans, read this today. Never had the wines.

https://www.wawinereport.com/2022/01/wa ... close.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:05 am

Yes, Pat, that happened. In fact, this bottle came from a mystery case that Nina sold to empty out the library for $200 a case--SHIPPED. Every bottle's been brilliant.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:34 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, Pat, that happened. In fact, this bottle came from a mystery case that Nina sold to empty out the library for $200 a case--SHIPPED. Every bottle's been brilliant.

Sounds like a great deal to me. :wink: :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:21 pm

It sure was. Wish I'd bought several more. Even a 2007 Chardonnay--(new world? Washington? 14 years old? AND STILL GOOD????? Unbelievable.)