The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Outstanding Italian Reds...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three Outstanding Italian Reds...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:39 pm

Tried these three reds over the last few days:
1. Emilio Bulfon IGT: Piculit Neri Tre Venezie (13.5%; Terroir Imprts/Denver; www.Bulfon.It/en/) Emilio Bulfon/Pinzano al Tagliamento 2019: Med.color; very strong plummy/boysenberry/licorice/chocolaty rather dusty/OV/bit earthy rather fragrant nose; bit soft slight metallic very strong boysenberry/plummy/licorice/bit chocolaty slight tangy/metallic fairly rich/lush rather dusty/OV slightly rustic some complex flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long/lingering soft/rich/lush strong boysenberry/plummy/licorice some dusty/OV/bit earthy bit rustic some complex finish w/light tangy tannins; reminds some of a lighter Refosco; quite an interesting/drinkable red that will benefit from a few more yrs of age; great price at $22.00 (BWM)
2. Ronchi di Cialla Schioppettino di Cialla Dd'OC: Friuli Colli Orientali Sottozona Cialla (12.5%; ElentyImports/NY; Btl #00622 of 11484 btls) Prepotto 2015: Dark color; very strong peppery/black pepper/blackberry/very spicy bit boysenberry light pencilly/oak very spicy quite perfumed beautiful classic Schio nose; lightly tart/tangy very strong peppery/black pepper/very spicy strong blackberry/licorice/pungent quite rich very structured light pencilly/oak beautiful flavor w/ modest chewey tannins; very long/lingering very spicy/peppery/black pepper/blackberry/licorice quite structured light pencilly/oak finish w/ modest chewey tannins; a beautiful very spicy/peppery expression of Schio; can go another 5-10 yrs. $64.00 (BWM)
3. Zidarich Teran IGP: VeneziaGiulia (12.0%; NealRosenthalImprts) Prepotto/Trieste 2015: Very dark color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah-like/licorice/Refosco-like/black cherry cola rather dusty/OV light pencilly/oak slight pungent/graphite quite complex beautiful nose; fairly tart/tangy bit metallic/graphite strong blackberry/black cherry cola/Refosco-like light pencilly/oakfairly rich rather dusty/OV quite structured some complex flavor w/ ample ripe/chewey tannins; very long/lingering very strong blackberry/black cherry cola/Refosco-like/bit licorice/pungent/graphite quite structured finish w/ ample chewey tannins; packed w/ flavor for only 12.0%; needs 5-10 yrs; a beautiful expression of Teranno. $50.00 (BG)
1. Bulfon: Emilio is one of my favorite winemakers in Friuli. He has taken it upon himself to revive many of the old/near-extinct indigenous varieties of Friuli. By DNA; Picolit Neri is shown to be no relation to the Picolit white variety, so probably does not have the yield issues of Picolit, which is caused by that variety being sterile. We did a visit there & was impressed by all of his wines.
The Bulfon label is one of the most ornate & beautiful labels in all Italy. It is taken from a mosaic fresco in a nearby church. It's a beautiful little church you can just open the door & walk right in. Immediately a feeling of awe just sweeps right over you. Chiesa di Santo Stefano was originally built around 1200. (https://www.weinstrasse.com/en/highligh ... f-pinzano/). Highly recommended for a visit the next time you're in Pinzano.
2. Schioppettino: This is a Friuli indigenous variety that Paola Rapuzzi found a few lone vines & propagated it at his Ronchi do Cialla estate. It's a variety that has been getting some traction in Friuli. Ivan Rapuzzi makes probably the best of the Schios made in Friuli.
We did a visit w/ Ivan when we were there. His father Paola had died about a yr earlier & he & his brother now run the Estate. We sat down in his Mom's kitchen adjacent to the traditional Friulian fogolar open hearth oven & tasted thru a range of his wines w/ some charcuterie, including the traditional Pitina smoked sausage, which is more like a squashed meatball patty. His Mom, who couldn't speak a lick of English, joined us & from her beaming smile, you could tell she was having the time of her life w/ these strange visitors.
Towards the end of the tasting, I commented to Ivan that I'd never had a Verduzzo that much impressed me. That inspired him to head down to the cellar to bring back a Verduzzo dessert wine from the early '70's. It was absolutely delicious as a well-aged passito wine. So I decided to press my luck & commented that I'd never had a d'Yquem from the 1800's. Didn't work!!
Steve Matthiasson makes a Schio at his NapaVlly Estate that is quite good...but not in the same league of the Ronchi Cialla.
Tom