The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Iuli Rossore VinoRosso/Barbera Monferrato NV...(short/b

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Iuli Rossore VinoRosso/Barbera Monferrato NV...(short/b

by TomHill » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:42 pm

Tried this wine over the weekend:
1. Iuli Rossore VinoRosso (14.5%; http://www.Iuli.It; Barbera; L LR17; HootanannyWines/Madison/CT) Iuli Fabrizio/Montaldo di Cerrina/Monferrato NV(2017?): Very dark color; strong fairly spicy/Barbera/dried Italian herbs/Italian sausage light pencilly/oak slight earthy/rustic/dusty/OV quite perfumed very attractive nose; quite tart tangy bit metallic/steely some dusty/OV quite Barbera/spicy/pizza spices/dried Italian herbs some pencilly/oak rather structured/hard/rbit rustic fairly classic Piemonte Barbera w/ ample chewey/hard tannins; very long very spicy/Barbera/cherry/dried Italian herbs/Italian sausage light pencilly/oak rather earthy/dusty/OV/bit rustic hard/structured some complex finish w/ ample hard tannins; a pretty classic Piemonte Barbera but bigger than most Monferrato Barberas; quite structured & needs 4-8 yrs; plenty of acid but not so much as to take your head off; one of the best Barberas I've had in yrs. $31.00 (BWM)
Hootenanny is a new Importer to me. Started in 2019 by two young ladies w/ Boulder connections at Univ of CO. They specialize in "natural" wines, which would usually lead me to flee to the nearest exit. Fabrizio Iuli is a "natural" winemaker.
I discovered the Iuli wines over a yr ago after one of my forays up to the BoulderWineMerchant. At that time, they were imported by Indie Wine Imports. Now it looks like Hootenanny (love that name...takes me back to my Kansas roots) is their US importer. All of the Iuli wines (three of them) I've tried have been first-rate. These are a great example that "natural" wines don't have to be loaded w/ mousey/funky/unclean character. All of these wines have been perfectly clean & well-made & without any flaws. There are a lot of "natural" winemakers that could learn a thing or two from Fabrizio.
Not only does he specialize in Barbera, plus Nebbiolo/Grignolino/PinotNero, he is also resurrecting from the dead the ancient varieties of Slarina and Baratuciat. I'd love to try those wines someday. Slarina: (https://dobianchi.com/2019/06/10/italia ... edmontese/). Baraticiat was mostly used as a table grape. The name come from local dialect for "cat testicles" and the aromas are described as similar to a cat's litter box. Now if that's not a huge marketing plus, I don't know jack-$hit about marketing wines!!
Anyway, Iuli is a wnry you should put on your radar for some great Piemonte wines.
Tom