The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Irish whiskey recommendations?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Irish whiskey recommendations?

by Jenise » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:04 pm

The hosts of the next Booze Group meeting has selected Irish whiskey as a theme. I know zip about Irish whiskeys, and I recognize but one name (Jameson). Oh wait, two, Bushmills. In fact, Jameson is what the host is going to provide. I'd like to buy something less mainstream, and I'd spend $100 or so for something nice. Any help out there?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: Irish whiskey recommendations?

by Patchen Markell » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:09 pm

I’m a fan of Redbreast, and if you’re splurging, the 15 year is especially fine. Won’t break $100 but might approach it.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:30 pm

Just as a matter of interest, these are downtown at a very good store.

Waterford Single Farm Origin Sheestown Edition 1.2 (Ireland)
Spirits - Whiskey - Irish $104.99 (700mL)
Redbreast 12 Year Old (Ireland)
Spirits - Whiskey - Irish $99.99 (750mL)
Writers Tears Pot Still Irish Whiskey (Ireland)
Spirits - Whiskey - Irish $65.99 (700mL)
Bushmills Single Malt 10 Year Old (Ireland)
Spirits - Whiskey - Irish $52.99 (750mL)
Glendalough Double Barrel Irish Whiskey (Ireland)
Spirits - Whiskey - Irish $44.99 (750ml)
Jameson (Ireland)
Spirits - Whiskey - Irish $39.99 (750mL)
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:51 am

I like Teeling a lot (and even visited their distillery in Dublin a few years ago).

I recently tried Glendalough, a distillery I was unaware of, and liked it a lot. They also make two terrific gins.

For something atypical, you can try Connemara, which is peated like Islay Scotch.

Sounds like fun!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:58 pm

Bruce, this group is one of those Pandemic-caused things. It started with us inviting another couple over for a Tennessee-inspired meal--our first social event in lockdown and exploring Covid-safe protocols (dining outside, having our guests bring their own plates, etc). They lived there for 20 years when Chuck taught at Vanderbilt, and Bob and I had just spent a weekend in Nashville (Feb 2020, just before Covid exploded) and brought home two wines and a bottle of Tennessee whiskey. Somehow that led to us and them putting our four or six other Rye type whiskeys and having a Manhattan contest. In response, they invited us over for Gin and martinis a few weeks later. After that we invited another couple to join in and we've been doing this every six or eight weeks since. We just call it Booze Group: I hosted the last one, cognac. So far, no repeats, and quite a few revelations, like Japanese Single Malts!

Thanks for the names. I'll see if Total Wine carries them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:46 pm

If you are up this way before the event, see http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-c ... esc&page=1
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:32 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:If you are up this way before the event, see http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-c ... esc&page=1

Like the sound of this one Bill>>>>

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/199816
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:09 am

Bill Spohn wrote:If you are up this way before the event, see http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-c ... esc&page=1

I will be! And it would save me a trip to Everett. Some interesting choices there, including the Teeling that Bruce K mentioned. Some of the descriptions are useful. Especially if they mention vanilla because after spending $100 on a South American rum for the Booze Group event before last that didn't just have hints of vanilla, it REEKED of vanilla, which I hate and so the leftovers are a complete waste (an entry level Appleton was more appealing), I will pay more attention to descriptions and not let some salesman talk me into something. Others loved that rum, but I didn't like it at all. So no vanilla! Also, I don't care for strong toast or peat. The blonde-r whiskeys have for me been the most appealing.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm

Glad that may work for you as long as your meeting is after the next time you are up here.

As for the vanilla rum, bake it in a cake and take it to the Irish uisge baugh meeting.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:08 pm

Ha! Wouldn't even want the cake. Will have to make umbrella drinks next summer or something.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:17 pm

I tasted Middleton Very Rare (I think that was it) at the distillery and liked it enough that I bought a bottle. They said it was only available there but when I got home, I found it in the liquor stores.