The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WT4N: A Riesling Runs Thru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

WT4N: A Riesling Runs Thru

by Pat G » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:08 pm

(Two) Rivers.

2019 Two Rivers Riesling Château Deux Fleuves Vineyards, Colorado

Enjoyed over NY weekend and thereafter. Poured it into a flute. Why not? Not much of a rim, but it's a young wine. Medium legs. Aromas are white fruit dominant; lemon, lime, peach, pear, hint of melon. White flowers also noted: definite honeysuckle, followed by carnation. Not really spicy, but maybe subtle baking spices and yeast. Off dry without excessive sweetness. Aroma and palate intensity about the same. Bright texture, medium finish, medium + acidity. Drink now. Screwcap.

Two Rivers Riesling has been a consistent producer/varietal for us. We've been tasting CO wines since 2003. Riesling and Cab Franc remain CO strong suits. But some other reds have done well, especially since 2015. Including the occasional PN and red blends. Sure, CO does some of the overly sweet stuff, but it's easy to avoid.
Last edited by Pat G on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WT4N: A Riesling Runs Thru

by Jenise » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:24 pm

Sounds pleasant but on the tame side, if I'm reading your notes right, due to the lack of spice?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:42 pm

Baking spice and yeast don't sound like Riesling to me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm

Jenise/David:

I'd describe as a simple, pleasant enough quaff. Not really complex, and the fruit and flowers dominated. Still, there was something there that reminded me of yeast/baking. Good acidity, though. And paired well with several cuisines: Polish (pork and cheese pierogi),slaw with cranberries, chocolate, gingerbread.

I could be pro-CO biased having noted their wines in later years have evolved. And the Riesling's good value had appeal to Frugal One. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:51 am

Not many of us have had Colorado wines! I did get to try a few in Durango when we blew through there a few years ago. No recollection of the winery name, only that the wines were solid and the cab franc in particular stood out. I don't recall any whites.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov