The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

For Burgundy Fans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

For Burgundy Fans

by Pat G » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:57 pm

https://worldoffinewine.com/2022/01/12/ ... me-season/

I rarely have Burg wines, mostly Chablis, Petit Chablis, basic Bourgogne. But for those who are more into 1er Cru, Grand Cru, anyone interested, I share.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: For Burgundy Fans

by Tim York » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:31 am

Thanks for that, Pat. The last vintage in which I bought GC and 1erC reds was 2002 and most are drinking beautifully by now. So their quality in 2020 is of academic interest only. As for GC and 1erC whites, IMO the premox risk is too great to justify their high prices.

However, I do still buy Chablis for drinking young and wines from the Chalonnais and Mâconnais as well as from lesser communes in the Côte d'Or like Marsannay, Santenay, Saint-Aubin..... and from the Hautes- Côtes. So it's good news that 2020 is such a good vintage for the whites (fresh as well as rich) but a bit more mixed for the reds. I have felt that some of the whites from the Mâconnais in recent torrid vintages have been getting a rather fat southerly feel so this freshness will be particularly welcome, if it extends to that sub-region, which Sarah Marsh MW does not discuss.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:06 pm

Does seem promising for 2020 Chablis. If I buy any 2020 Burgundian wines it will be a small quantity of 1er Cru Chablis.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:59 pm

Our LWS has the following:

Domaine Feuillat-Juillot 2020 Premier Cru, Les Jardins White Burgundy
Montagny
$24.99

Domaine Perraud 2019 Vieilles Vignes White Burgundy
Macon Villages
$14.99

Any insights? The Red Burgs seem to start about $30. I'll take a pass.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:45 am

FWIW neither of those domaines is on my radar screen and I didn't find a hit for them in RVF's annual guide. And the prices look a but high for their appellations.

If I were in your position, I might buy one experimental bottle of each.

PS - I found a report on Feuillat-Juillot in the usually quite reliable Figaro Vin. It sounds the sort of wine I would like. Here's the link but it's in French https://avis-vin.lefigaro.fr/vins-champ ... at-juillot
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:00 am

Thanks for article. For the most part Burgundy pricing has left me behind, though luckily I have quite a bit to see me through.
My friend John recently did an article on his visit, echoed the WFW piece- lovely whites, mixed reds (but some quite stunning).
The only 2020s I've tried are Chablis AC- Gilbert Picq and a couple of the Piuze Terroir bottlings. Liked a lot.
I'll probably buy some Chablis 1er, and maybe one or two GC. For the most part I expect Cote d'Or pricing to be difficult.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 am

Dale Williams wrote:For the most part I expect Cote d'Or pricing to be difficult.

That's putting it mildly. I thought it was funny & quite telling when William Kelley, in his IG video on 2020 Burgundy, said to make sure you have a glass of wine before looking at the price lists.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:31 pm

Pat G wrote:Our LWS has the following:

Montagny
$24.99

Macon Villages
$14.99

No experience with either. But $25 is suspiciously cheap for a legit 1er cru, where $15 for a decent Macon (and there are a lot of decent Macons) makes more sense. I'd bet on the less expensive wine for taking a walk on the wild side.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:20 pm

Jenise wrote:
Pat G wrote:Our LWS has the following:

Montagny
$24.99

Macon Villages
$14.99

No experience with either. But $25 is suspiciously cheap for a legit 1er cru, where $15 for a decent Macon (and there are a lot of decent Macons) makes more sense. I'd bet on the less expensive wine for taking a walk on the wild side.

Seen from France, $25 doesn't look cheap for Montagny, even 1er cru. I would lose interest over about €20. Some of the best growers from the Chalonnais like Dureil-Janthial, Theulot Juillot, François Lumpp and Joblot are now charging close to and sometimes over €30 for some of their bottles, while the excellent Jaqueson is in the lower 20s but AFIK none of these offers a Montagny. IMO these growers offer very good QPR for a Burgundian Pinot or Chardonnay fix when compared with those in the the heartland of the Côte d'Or.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:50 pm

Tim York wrote:Seen from France, $25 doesn't look cheap for Montagny, even 1er cru. I would lose interest over about €20. Some of the best growers from the Chalonnais like Dureil-Janthial, Theulot Juillot, François Lumpp and Joblot are now charging close to and sometimes over €30 for some of their bottles, while the excellent Jaqueson is in the lower 20s but AFIK none of these offers a Montagny..

I was going to say the same thing. But, $25 retail in the US means it's probably below 10 euros in France. Maybe it's a find, maybe it's an average quaff.