The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Zilliken Kabinett full of surprises

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Zilliken Kabinett full of surprises

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:05 pm

• 2013 Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz) Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/17/2022)
    Seven years since my prior bottle of this, and the wine was full of surprises. Stored on its side in my 53 degree F cellar since release, the bottle had developed a secondary seal of tartrate crystals. When I took out the cork, and tried to pour, nothing came out! It took two whacks with a wooden spoon handle to break through the layer of tartrate crystals. Once I got some wine out of the bottle it had more surprises. The electric acidity was expected. The grapefruit and underripe mango aromas were not. The squirt of lime on the palate was expected. The richness, almost roundness of the palate impression was not. It wasn’t fat or flabby, as the acidity rippled across the surface. The overall impression reminded me a lot of the young 1996 Rieslings, which had a juxtaposition of palate richness and teeth rattling acidity. This is a thought provoking bottle, as it steps outside normal expectations. I have two more, and will check in again after another seven years.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Zilliken Kabinett full of surprises

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:04 pm

I think I have the SR not the Bockstein, but only couple bottles, based on this I'll wait, though with heightened expectations
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Zilliken Kabinett full of surprises

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:12 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I think I have the SR not the Bockstein, but only couple bottles, based on this I'll wait, though with heightened expectations

I also have the Rausch, and may dig out a bottle sooner rather than later due to curiosity.
Decisions are made by those who show up