The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Deiss Poliziano Le Stanze Lingua Franca Pinot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: Deiss Poliziano Le Stanze Lingua Franca Pinot

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:16 pm

Got together with a couple of friends to sit in front of the fire and sip wine yesterday. The wines turned out to be really excellent.

2016 Marcel Deiss Riesling – this Alsatian is showing a tad more colour than the last time I opened one, but has the same fruit and petrol nose along with some subtle spice notes, and a well balanced medium length finish.

1998 Poliziano Le Stanze – this Tuscan IGT was my offering, the first I had opened in 8 or 10 years. Penetrating nose of fruit and some wood, and excellent fruit levels in the mouth, the plummy dark fruit carrying through to the lengthy finish. This wine has bloomed into a lovely example of IGT with unmistakable Tuscan heritage despite the non-traditional blend. Lovely.

2017 Lingua Franca Pinot Noir AVNI - first time I tasted this Oregon Pinot. Medium read especially compared to the Le Stanze, and a nose that opened to nice dark fruit – cherry and maybe a hint of Damson. Good fruit on palate and a fairly dry medium length finish with some as yet unresolved tannins. This should age nicely.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Deiss Poliziano Le Stanze Lingua Franca Pinot

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:03 pm

Sit in front of the fire and sip wine…nice!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:25 pm

Well that and listen to music (my former main sound system resides in the living room and although it doesn't get nearly as much action as it used to, it is nice to listen to music while chatting and sipping). The gas fire is nice - instead of chopping, stacking and laying a fire, you just hit a switch on a remote! Jenise isn't bad at name-that-tune, although she wasn't in attendance at this one.

And ate bruschetta with goose pate, lemon ebelskivers and blistered Shishido peppers.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:52 pm

Sounds good. If I ever get out there I will sit outside your door with an ‘85 Fonseca until you let me in. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Sounds good. If I ever get out there I will sit outside your door with an ‘85 Fonseca until you let me in. ;)

All you have to do is knock! Entry guaranteed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:15 pm

The one time I had a Lingua Franca, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. Or to put it another way, I was rather disappointed. We tried a pinot and a chardonnay on the same evening--both were very high acid, which I usually like, but it dominated the fruit in a way that wasn't pleasurable. Not sure which vintage, maybe '14, a few years back.

As for Name That Tune--yessir, and I look forward to competing with Coop again in the near future! (Mr. Bueker is probably pretty excellent at this as well.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov