The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SVB Annual Wine Report

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

SVB Annual Wine Report

by Pat G » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 am

https://www.svb.com/trends-insights/rep ... ne-report#

Thus far, I've only read the summary and a blog with the highlights. May read the whole thing...later.

Looked up a few personal stats. OK, I am rather a data geek.
Last time a winery visited in-person: Fall, 2019
Average price per bottle, Total Cellar: 2018 to 2021 = About $35 2018 to 2020, 2021 = About $39. Includes tax & shipping.
Case purchases: 2018-2019 about 2, 2020 = 4, 2021 = 2.5.

During 2020, about 60% of case purchases were unplanned but done to support wineries during difficult times. Most of those purchases were offered either with free shipping or an apparent discount. Some via Berserker Quarantine Relief. And, some were given as gifts to family. One relative particularly likes my curated wine for birthday and Christmas. Done!

Hope to really slow down purchases this year. But for now, the wines we have will be OK as far as drinking windows. Rationalizing? Maybe.

Any thoughts on SVB Report, and any stats WLPers wish to share, always welcome.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: SVB Annual Wine Report

by Jenise » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:23 pm

I'm not really buying wine but already purchased 10 bottles this week. Four at $25 and six at $240 per 3-pack for wine unobtainable any other way. I'm hopeless.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:42 am

Jenise, IIRC you do entertain and bring wine to events. Both are rare for we two introverts. Enjoy and Cheers!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:32 am

Yes, we do that, but haven't been doing much lately!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:46 am

The “mindshare” chart is interesting, but also not surprising. I would be curious to see mindshare trends over time. The advent of hard seltzer is probably going to skew things for a while, until that fad fades like wine coolers.

The growth chart is not at all shocking, as there are clear trends with the economy, and growth increases slowing as the segmentation of the alcohol market increases through new and diversified product ranges.
Decisions are made by those who show up