The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tuscany, plus French wines (and one Abruzzo)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Tuscany, plus French wines (and one Abruzzo)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:39 pm

Shrimp creole, broccoli, and the 2016 Valentini Trebbiano d’Abruzzo, Really fun wine, nectarine with herbs and preserved lemons, balanced acids, full and long with a waxy note on finish. Delicious but I think could use a little time (drank well 2 nights later). A-/B+

Over to some friends for a distanced dinner- Meatloaf, baked potato, peas, acorn squash
2005 Ch. Faizeau Vieilles Vignes (Montagne-St-Emilion)
Friends enjoyed, I thought this was a little hot and a little too fleshy, Still some tannin, certainly holding on. B-/C+

2018 Chignard “Beauvernay”Julienas
Bright, red cherries and white pepper, tangy. Fun and food friendly B/B+

Too cold to eat outside, so I spread people out over multiple tables for my local non-serious group. Cheeses and charcuterie were on table

NV Gosset Grand Rose Champagne
Lovely rose, cherries and strawberries framed by orange zest and a hint of smoke.Balanced, full, yes. A-/B+

I braved the cold to grill bistecca alla fiorentina, served with a spinach risotto. Wine theme was Tuscany

1988 Monsanto Il Poggio Chianti Classico Riserva
A bit of tannin, red plum fruit that’s beginning to show a little maderization, the saddle leather/cigarbox notes get an edge of ashtray with air. A bit tired, but still interesting. B/B-

2017 Spinetta l Colorino di Casanova
I didn’t guess grape, thought maybe Cab, but I’ve never had a Colorino outside of a blend before. Dark, dense, herby with green pepper. B_

2018 Felsina Fontalloro
Young, powerful,but balanced, black cherry with minty herbs, anise, and a hint of coffee. Very popular. B+ with potential for A range./

2019 Sassoregale Sangiovese Maremma
Lighter styled, medium acids, fresh red cherry, not very long. B-

2018 La Massa
We actually ended up with two bottles of this. I thought Bordeaux blend but mostly Sangiovese (with some Bdx grapes).Ripe dark fruits, soft texture, easy. B

Rodano Poggialupi
Unsure of vintage. Some definite funk, medium bodied, I like but pushing funky borders. B

Saturday cod, red cabbage, and leftover risotto. Wine was the 2017 Dauny “Terres Banches” Sancerre . I don’t mind some grass in my SB, but I shouldn’t feel like a human lawnmower C+

Sunday mackerel, fava beans, and salad, with the 2018 2018 Drouhin-Vaudon “Vaillons” Chablis 1er. Rounder style of Chablis, ripe apple and pear, just a hint of chalk. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.