The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Buty Salon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Buty Salon

by Jenise » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:21 am

The unfortunate closing of Buty Winery has belatedly made me aware of the genius in our midst that is/was Nina Buty, and I'm embarrassed to have not understood this earlier. Her wines are outstanding. New world with old world longevity.

2010 Buty Syrah Beast Clone Noir Phinny Hill Vineyard Horse Heaven Hills
Dark garnet color, clear brick at the edge. Brambly black raspberry and plum fruit with musky woodspice, fennel and baked ham. Finish goes on and on. Distinctly and surprisingly--because so few here get this right--Northern Rhone in style.

2012 Buty Sémillon/Sauvignon/Muscadelle Columbia Valley Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend

An absolutely brilliant white wine at 10 years old. No mature flavors or sign of fading, just layers of resonance from a wine grateful to have been left alone. Yellow apple, dry honey, all that with ample acidity and structure leading into the long finish. I've been a fan of this substantive white blend for a few years but never held onto them to discover their potential down the road.

2009 Buty Chardonnay Beast Barrel Selection Conner-Lee Vineyard Columbia Valley
A real WOW wine because in spite of the disadvantages of warm vintage, new world fruit, and alcohol at 14.4%, this wine is stunning. One just doesn't expect that kind of freshness and longevity in WA state chardonnay.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Buty Salon

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:49 am

Buty Queen
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:36 pm

Or Buty call.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:48 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Or Buty call.....

Pretty sure I did that one awhile back!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov