The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Richelieu's chenin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Richelieu's chenin

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:42 am

Apparently Richelieu took time out from his official duties to make sure that a patch of chenin was planted in the Touraine in his name, or at least so implies the 2005 Domaine de la Garreliere Touraine Chenin "Ancien Vignoble du Duc de Richelieu".

Hadn't heard of this before buying the bottle, although despite the Plouzeau family's negociant history, this particular wine is an organic domaine carefully-crafted etc etc bottling.

It is nothing as grand as the name, but it either attests to the quality of the vintage or the quality of the grower, because it is so ripe and rich it screams perfect phenolic maturity with its round elegant acids.

What it doesn't have is exceptional depth, sparkle, zest, or complexity, but then I'm guessing Richelieu did not choose the grandest terroir.

Anyone else have experiences?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Richelieu's chenin

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:53 am

Nope but should have tried it with fish`n chips!! Wait for my "fast food and wine" thread coming up soon.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:36 pm

I haven't had the Chenin, but I did try this producer's Gamay -- I think the label said "Touraine Gamay Val de Loire-Richelieu." I liked it a lot -- very bright and minerally. Maybe not quite up to CRB's standards but close.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:11 pm

Sometimes you go to wine with the terroir you want; sometimes you go to wine with the terroir you have.

I suspect in the case of the Richelieu, it was the latter.

I know the little village that he came from, and where he built his chateau, was not situated in the best of the wine-growing region of the Loire.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:37 pm

Hoke wrote:I know the little village that he came from, and where he built his chateau, was not situated in the best of the wine-growing region of the Loire.

Aha, makes sense.

Still, from the looks of the bottle in the store I thought it would be some funky hobbyist organic biodynamic project, but in fact it tasted really "well made" for whatever that is worth.. Either that or 2005 just laid out some really gorgeous grapes.