The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Canon (Saint-Emilion) 1985

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Chateau Canon (Saint-Emilion) 1985

by David Lole » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:15 am

Medium ruby core with immense bricking throughout the hue. Glorious mature nose of damp earth, cedar, dusty blackcurrants, satsuma plums, rosemary, thyme, savoury oak and a stunning top note of anise and sweet corn. Pure silk in the mouth, re-enacting the bouquet in nuance to a tee, magnificently plump but ohso soft and utterly captivating with melted fine tannins, surprisingly ripe acidity and a finish of thirty seconds and thensome. What is so rivetting about this Outstanding/Exceptional example of right-bank Merlot/Cabernet Franc is the glorious balance and integration of every component combined with that delicate underlying power that provides the backbone of greatness. Would love to try this against the otherworldly '85 Cheval Blanc, Danny, so generously, sent down to Canberra for the last hurrah. Bordeaux at its best!
Last edited by David Lole on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Chateau Canon (Saint-Emilion) 1985

by Saina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:44 am

Thanks! Canon rocks! At this time, they still made really traditional style wines which I really, really love. Tannic and earthy are recurring words in my notes for this! The 88 especially is really nice, but even the 89, 83 and the 85 are great. I've not tasted anything else from them however. Any idea what their more recent wines are like? Are they just as traditional in style as before?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: Chateau Canon (Saint-Emilion) 1985

by David Lole » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:19 am

Funnily enough, only the '82 (on several occasions). I like this more FWIW. The '82 was too fruity, Otto! :wink: Wish you were able to be at our table this night for we have drunk something of the Gods! Went brilliantly with fresh herb marinated loin chops cooked (very) roughly over glowing coals and crispy steamed green vegies with a creamy potato mash. The rarish, pink flesh went like a treat with the wine. Apologies to any vegan's reading this.
Cheers,

David