The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: M'dear

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

WTN: M'dear

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 16, 2022 11:45 am

1950 Madeira Malvazia, Julio Barros

Deep copper color. Closed in very tight when uncorked. Almost no aroma, shy fruit but lots of rough, astringent acidity. Long astringent finish. I didn't bother with the nitrogen dispenser. A glass I poured the next day had opened up a lot and now had complex aromas of caramel and citrus peel. Mouth-filling flavors that follow the aroma, along with pleasant sweetness and again astringent acidity. Long, rough finish. I'd give this one another twenty to fifty years in the bottle. If I thought I'd live that long, that is. Next time I'll be sure to decant the wine, put the stopper in the decanter, and shake it vigorously for a minute or two. Then let it sit for a day or two before drinking. Triple Moe.

The bottle doesn't have a producer's label. It just has "1950 JB Madeira Malvazia" stenciled in white on the bottle. There is an importer's label on the back with the BATF-required information--importer's name and address and Surgeon General's warning. It was brought in by the Rare Wine Company in California. I have the producer's name in my records as "Barros". The producer's full name seems to be "Julio Barros".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: M'dear

by Jenise » Mon May 16, 2022 12:41 pm

That sounds thrilling--I love Madeira. I have a few in my cellar, the oldest is a 1900. Can't seem to find the perfect opportunity to open it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 17, 2022 12:15 pm

I've been a vintage Madeira fan since the late 1980s when a Boston-area wine store (Winecellar of Silene in Waltham MA) started importing Blandy's Madeira. The star of that tasting was Blandy's 1920 vintage bual. You could smell the wonderful aroma of the wine as soon as you entered the store, even though the tasting table was at the back of the store, yards away. That got me hooked. The Rare Wine Company in California was importing a bunch of different vintage Madeiras, all the way back to the early 1800s. I got a couple of bottles of Blandy's 1834 malvazia and still have one. This 1950 is one of the younger Madeiras in my collection.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 17, 2022 2:04 pm

All of mine came from RWC too, Paul, including my first Madeira experience: an 1827. We split the cost of that bottle with a friend and we bore the cost of groceries for a six course meal I prepared to go with it, inspired by a Wine Speck article about a Sauternes dinner Wolfgang Puck cooked similarly for. Amazing to drink a wine whose grapes shared oxygen with Thomas Jefferson, for one. I still have the bottle.

I've got some '54s. Also, from RWC but thru the Royal Family when Prince Charles lightened up his cellar, I own the Madeira that was bottled for his investiture as PoW, (I forget what vintage the wine is, 40's I think), the Madeira that was bottled for Queen Elizabeth's Jubilee in 1977 and the Madeira that was served at his and Diana's wedding (all custom-labeled for those events). Additionally, I have a few of RWC's own brand Madeiras named after American cities though god knows why, which are fantastic.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov