The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 1993 Lindeman's Shiraz Cabernet Limestone Ridge Vineyard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 1993 Lindeman's Shiraz Cabernet Limestone Ridge Vineyard

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 18, 2022 3:17 pm

1993 Lindeman's Shiraz - Cabernet Limestone Ridge Vineyard

Decided to try one of my last bottles of this wine, made before the Aussies git Parkerized completely and started making more jammy wines without firm structures than otherwise. This has aged gracefully and is now fully mature and showed dark berry fruit with significant oak and a smokiness that was becoming for the wine.

Ready to go but not over the hill. Very pleasant.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 1993 Lindeman's Shiraz Cabernet Limestone Ridge Vine

by Jenise » Wed May 18, 2022 4:19 pm

Americans, including me, associate Lindemans with low-end junk wines only slightly better than Yellow Tail but still way left of center. Their better stuff existed but didn't get distributed here much or at all. In 2018, therefore, a '95 Lindeman's Pyrus was a great upside surprise: The 'Pyrus' was Lindeman's flagship bordeaux blend from Coonawarra. Initial funk blows off revealing mint, eucalyptus and olives on sweet cherry and black currant fruit. Deceptively youthful for it's age and type. PnP'd, the wine gained weight with air and the leftovers were stellar about five hours later.

We should do another Aussie tasting this summer. I've got things to share!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: TN: 1993 Lindeman's Shiraz Cabernet Limestone Ridge Vine

by John S » Fri May 20, 2022 12:52 pm

That wine was a real blast from the past! Lindemans used to make 3 or 4 very good cabs, and they were good value too, relatively. I’ve gone through most of my Australian reds, but do still have a few laying around…