The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Perrin Nature Côtes du Rhône Rouge (AOC)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2004 Perrin Nature Côtes du Rhône Rouge (AOC)

by Paul B. » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:56 pm

This wine, which I picked up on the spur of the moment at Vintages this afternoon, is made organically - hence the name. It is said to be composed mainly of Grenache "with a dash of Syrah". The rear label bears an "Ecocert" logo and indicates that the wine is certified organic. The bottle is closed with high-quality natural cork.

13% alc. Transparent with a medium-garnet colour and a ruby tinge; ruby-garnet at the edges - a very pretty hue in the glass. Good, firm legs form with swirling and persist down the sides of the glass. Delightful meaty/peppery nose that's all Rhône to me. Properly crisp and dry; light on the fore-palate but then quite chalky down the mid-palate; medium-bodied on the mid-palate with bright acidity and grippy tannin, and lots of appetizing white pepper and a hint of strawberry that continues into the long finish. A very fine table wine that is a perfect match with beef (which is what I happened to match it with this evening). Very nicely dry with perfect acidity and tannin; a truly food-oriented red.

I bought the wine without planning to, and I'm glad I did. It came in at under $17 Canadian at Vintages and I can say that I will buy a few more bottles. I also recommend it to any Rhône lovers as a good everyday quaff that delivers the same peppery spice of pricier bottlings, but on a lighter frame. The importer is listed as Charton Hobbs.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca