The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Whites & A Zweigelt...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three Whites & A Zweigelt...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon May 23, 2022 4:03 pm

Had these 4 wines over the last 2 days w/ dinner:
1. I Pastini Farone Verdeca IGP: Valle d'Itria Puglia (12%; www.IPastini.It; KermitLynchImprts/Berkeley) I Pastini/Puglia 2020: Light gold color w/ some tiny bubbles that dissipate; some floral/carnations/bit gardenias light earthy/chalky slightly neutral quite pleasant nose; lightly tart/tangy lightly floral/carnations/dandelions some earthy/chalky rather pretty flavor; med.long lightly floral/carnations/gardenias light chaly/earthy bit simple finish; an altogether pleasant but a bit simple/neutral clean/pretty white w/o the rustic/coarse character that many Puglia whites display; very well priced at $21.50 (KK)
2. Ch.Feuillet PetiteArvine Dd'OP: Valle d'Aosta (13.5%; Lotto 03/19; KermitLynch/Berkeley) Maurizio Fiorano/St.Pierre/Valle d'Aosta 2018: Med.light gold color; strong very floral/gardenias/very spicy bit cardamon/nutmeg very Alpine white flowers light mineral/perfumed talc somewhat complex bit Timo-like lovely nose; quite tart/tangy rather rich/lush quite spicy/cardamon very floral/gardenias/bit apple blossom/spicy rather Alpine white flowers/edelweiss fairly complex slight mineral/perfumed talc beautiful flavor; very long/lingering lightly tart/tangy very strong floral/gardenias/spicy/cardamon light mineral/perfumed talc/bit chalky/stony very Alpine wild flowers beautiful finish; a beautiful classic Alpine white w/ more richness than most; a steal at $24.50 (KK)
3. Solminer GrunerVeltliner SantaYnezVlly (12.5%; 158 cs; Coquelicot & Spear vnyds; www.Solminer.com) Buellton 2021: Med.light gold color; rather quiet/low-key pleasant fragrant GV/white pepper/slight floral/carnations bit spicy quite attractive nose; fairly tart/tangy rather GV/white pepper/floral/carnations slight metallic/mineral/chalky bit grapefruity/citric pleasant rather quiet flavor; very long quiet floral/GV/white pepper slight chalky/mineral finish; a quiet/low-key pretty expression of GV but just that; can do better from Austria at $34.00
4. Schloss GobelsburgZweigelt Niederosterreich (12.5%; www.Schloss-Gobelsburg.At; SkurnikWines/NY) Michael Moosbrugger/Gobelsburg/Austria 2018: Dark color; strong grapey/plummy/boysenberry/licorice bit herbal/earthy quite juicy Zweigelt nose; bit soft light tangy/metallic strong plummy/boysenberry/grapey/licorice fairly earthy/loamy bit rustic flavor w/ light tangy tannins; long bit soft slight metallic/tangy fairly strong grapey/plummy/Zweigelt rather earthy/loamy/rustic finish w/ light tangy tannins; a fairly classic expression of Zweigely w/ lots of earthy/loamy character; not worth the $18.50 (KK)
which would make it suitable for use in Vermouth. The wine is not nearly as fragrant/perfumed as the Minutolo from this same producer; which is a terrific wine.
4. Zweigelt: A Blaufrankisch X St.Laurent cross developed in 1922 at Klosterneuburg by Fritz Zweigelt. They Austrian are trying to get its other name, Rotburger, to be more commonly used; the
name Fritz originally gave the grape. Fritz was an early & ardent supporter of the Nazis in the '30's & they named him the director of Klosterneuburg. He used his position to get many of his
colleagues fired because they were not Nazi supporters. A kinda of messy legacy to leave with Austria's most widely planted grape. The story is told here:
https://grapecollective.com/articles/through-a-glass-darkly-confronting-the-nazi-legacy-of-dr-zweigelt-and-the-impact-on-growers-and-impo
FritzZweigelt was simply a member of the "woke" culture of that era and should not be villified because he was a Nazi.
Tom