The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus June 2022 - Rosé all day!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Wine Focus June 2022 - Rosé all day!

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 31, 2022 2:39 pm

International Rosé Day is June 24, so we are going pink for the month. Rosé from anywhere is the Focus. Provence, Champagne(!), California, South Africa, Colorado, New York, Spain, Italy, wherever. It's warm weather and outdoor dining friendly, and when it gets too hot just put an extra dose of chill on it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: Wine Focus June 2022 - Rosé all day!

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 31, 2022 8:20 pm

FWIW, I had a glass of 2020 Pibarnon Bandol Rosé tonight, and was wondering why I chase Tempier Rosé.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:34 pm

Night before last we opened a bottle of 2021 Navarro Rose of Pinot Noir, first of a case I ordered from the winery in Mendocino. I have been ordering this wine by the case pretty much every other year for the last ten or so. They haven't all been equal ('17 was too lean) but this first bottle of the new case, served ice cold, gave me that "Ah, I'm home now" sensation. It's everything I hoped for. Layered and complex, neither shy nor boisterous, neither too fruity nor too herbaceous--everything's just right. With 20% off and One Penny shipping from the winery, as close to a no-brainer as it gets. Only problem might be that it's so good, this case will go fast.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:33 am

Glad to hear about the Navarro. I used to buy a lot from them, but somehow drifted away.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:57 pm

Bonny Doon's Vin Gris de Cigare has always been one of my favorite roses. When Bonny Doon was sold off I thought it was among the wines being discontinued, but according to Decanter I was wrong. Bonny Doon is going from producing 15 different wines to just four: Le Cigare Volant, Le Cigare Blanc, Vin Gris de Cigare, and a 100% picpoul.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:25 pm

Will be interesting to see how those surviving wines taste under new management.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:22 pm

Not bad at all for an affordable rosé ...

Fleurs de Prairie 2020 Languedoc Rosé ($12.99)

Fleurs de Prairie Languedoc Rosé is an attractive clear salmon color in the glass. A typical Languedoc blend of 43% Grenache Noir, 40% Syrah, 9% Carignan, 5% Cinsault, and 3% Mourvèdre, it lifts up pleasant red-berry aromas that lead into a fresh, acidic flavor that mirrors the nose: Strawberries and raspberries and a zippy whiff of lemon. Brisk and dry with a long finish, its good balance of fruit and acidity make it an excellent companion for a range of food. 13% alcohol. U.S. importer: Deutsch Family Wine & Spirits, Stanford, Conn. (May 26, 2022)

FOOD MATCH: The winery suggests pairing this light-bodied wine with lighter dishes, summer fruits and vegetables, fresh fish or roast chicken with fresh herbs. Wine-Searcher.com suggests that it will pair well with tomato-based dishes. We enjoyed it with spaghetti cacio e pepe. The rich cheese and butter flavors along with piquant black pepper made the pasta dish a delicious match.

WHEN TO DRINK: It's fresh and delicious. While it's not going to die of old age within the next couple of years, it is a wine to drink up, not to cellar.

VALUE:
It's an easy choice even at Wine-Searcher.com's reported $18 average U.S. retail. I found it for a bargain $13 because the merchant was expecting the 2021 vintage soon. At that price, I may go back for more.

WEB LINK:
Here's a detailed fact sheet on the importer's website.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Compare prices and locate vendors for Fleurs de Prairie Languedoc Rosé on Wine-Searcher.com.

Follow this Wine-Searcher link to find listings for dozens of other crisp and dry rosé wines, largely from Languedoc and Provence.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Robin, that sounds quite good! I'll admit that I am leery of trying those curvy bottles, as I suspect they're marketing to female palates which isn't neccessarily a good thing though female I be. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:48 pm

It looks like a bowling pin.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:30 pm

To tell you the truth, I almost passed on the curvy bottle, but my local wine shop guy, who I trust implicitly, pointed me to it and assured me that it doesn't taste like the bottle looks. He was right! (It's also a pretty expensive bottle, heavy and with stylized flowers raised from the surface like the Chateauneuf shield. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:It looks like a bowling pin.

Reminds me of the bottles of bubble bath my Father's wife loved. Often, she'd save the bottles because they were "too pretty to throw out". :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:42 pm

So yesterday we had the new vintage of 2021 Chateau Ste Michelle's dry rose. Y'all know I'm not a CSM fan--I mean, what they do they do very well but my palate isn't their target audience--with the exception of this rose. From 100% syrah, this vintage is paler than it has been in the past, so while it still has the round rose-petals-in-butter flavor of syrah it has more edges, in a good way. For $8, a steal.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:56 pm

Last night's sunset watching started with:

2019 Impuls Cellars Columbia Valley Sangiovese Blend, Sangiovese
A 70/30 blend of sangiovese and cab franc from WA's Red Mountain AVA. Weirdly wonderful combination. A neon shade of light red, tangy and electric on the palate, too. Dry, but friendly. Drinks well at room temp but I prefer it chilled. One of my favorite Grocery Outlet finds ever. Only six bucks. Discovered it last summer, loved it and went back for every bottle they had.

And alas, the evening weather was so splendid (best of 2022 so far), we decided to stay out and enjoy another bottle with some cheese and crackers rather than come inside for dinner, so I opened my very last:

2017 Edmunds St. John Gamay Noir Bone-Jolly El Dorado County
Insanely good for a five year old gamay rose. Light sunset color. Has evolved well, shows drier with more savory and salinity. Perfect for a Point Reyes Toma.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:20 pm

Apart from a brief spell of precocious warmth in mid May, we have not yet had much rosé type weather. When I first got interested in wine in the 60s, Tavel had the reputation of being the "best rosé in the world". Even without going outside France, there are many which surpass it nowadays, e.g. Château Simone at Palette, Bandol from Tempier, Pibarnon...., Sancerre from both Cotat estates, some Marsannay and so on. At Tavel itself, Mordorée and Aquéria do a lot better than this one.

2021 Château La Genestière Tavel La Magnanerie - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Tavel (09/06/2022)
This has the usual Tavel darkish pink and rose petal notes but the latter are marred by a perfumed ointment like edge and acidity is only modest. Rather dull and not the best of its kind. Fair.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:53 am

Sounds quite disappointing, Tim.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Sounds quite disappointing, Tim.

Well yes, though I rarely feel much enthusiasm for Tavel. Looking back at my notes during the 8 years since I have been using CT, I find that I have complained before about ointment like aromas and low acidity. Noticeable 14.5+% alcohol is also common. The best was a Château d'Aquéria 2012 drunk in 2015, when I thought that 3 years ageing had been beneficial in bringing more complexity at the same time as maintaining a freshness which I didn't find in last night's bottle. Perhaps it's best to think of Tavel as a very light red.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:57 pm

Tim York wrote: Perhaps it's best to think of Tavel as a very light red.

I agree with that. I buy Mordoree every so often and repurchase when I run out. Fun to track a case over, say, five years. I don't consider them interchangeable with other roses--they're a food wine that's particularly good with light, herbaceous dishes, not a "refreshing summer drink" in the sense that most roses are.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 pm

Never mind Tavel. Procence does rosé right, and this on, a Skurnik import, is an exceptional pink wine. I'd definitely buy more.

La Bernarde 2021 "Les Hauts du Luc" Côtes de Provence Rosé ($18.99)

La Bernarde 2021 "Les Hauts du Luc" Rosé is a typical Provence blend of certified organic Cinsault, Grenache, Mourvedre, Rolle, and Syrah grapes. Fresh and delicious, it is an exceptional rosé with an appetizing, fresh and complex aroma of red berries, tangerine, and lime zest. Mouth-filling and fresh, its red-berry flavors and stony minerality that linger in a very long finish. 13% alcohol. U.S. importer: Skurnik Wines, NYC. (June 9, 2022)

FOOD MATCH: Its subtle but distinct flavors were delicious with a dish made to match, green risotto loaded with onions, garlic, and chives, celery and green peppers and a broth made of all those things.

WHEN TO DRINK: It won't fall apart any time soon, but its delicious, subtle freshness will never be better than it is right now. Drink up!

VALUE:
This excellent rosé is well worth its price in the upper teens price. which is consistent with Wine-Searcher.com's $16 average U.S. retail price for the 2021 vintage.

WEB LINK:
Here's a link to importer Skurnik's fact sheet.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Check prices and find vendors for La Bernarde "Les Hauts du Luc" Côtes de Provence Rosé on Wine-Searcher.com.

Wine-Searcher's link to "crisp and dry rosés" will lead you to dozens of other good, dry, pink wines primarily from Provence and Languedoc.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:09 pm

Had a second bottle of the 2020 Chateau de Pibarnon Rosé with my folks tonight, and it was so good. Lots of fresh red fruit on a mid weight frame with a kiss of lime zest on the finish. Yummy. Wish we had a magnum!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:36 pm

Last night with friends, six bottles of rose were consumed. Didn't catch all the names but the wine of the night was from...Temecula! Whooda thunk it.

2020 Browne Family Vineyards Grenache Rosé Walla Walla Valley
L&D's bottle, a recent Costco purchase. Wan and dilute, tasteless.

2021 Wiens Family Cellars Primitivo Rosé Temecula Valley
M's bottle. Cherry and peach fruit, good body, totally dry. Delightful! WOTN!!

2020 Big Table Farm Laughing Pig Rosé Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
My bottle. Muted fruit with a lot of green notes. No cherries, closer to rhubarb. Probably TCA.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:38 pm

Maybe Temecula has found its grape!
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:44 pm

I've been drinking a lot of the Tiberio Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo over the last couple of years. I haven't tried the newly arrived 2021 vintage yet, but the 2019 and 2020 have been very good. These are quite deep in colour - no Provence style here - reminding one of Tavel. But the difference is the much lower alcohol level than Tavel. It's a dry, strongly flavoured rose with a hint of tannins that can stand up to a lot of different foods but retains a nice balance and good acidity. And it's a great QPR here. I heard of this through Ian D'Agata's website: he mentioned Tiberio as an outstanding QPR producer for white, red and rose, and he was on the money with all three. Eric Guido is a fan of this producer and wine too. A different but very tasty rosato from Montepulciano d'Abruzzo grapes, all from free run juice.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:27 pm

Great TN John, the 2020 was top drawer!

Look out for this one too>>>>.2020 Spinelli Tratturo Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo DOC (Abruzzi, Italy)
Wine - Rosé $17.99 (750mL)

Bright ruby red colour. Ample fruity nose with hints of morello cherry and very fine floral notes. Good structure, well-balanced, soft and persistent, this is a fine value in a pink. Try pairing with cold cuts, pizza, white meat, fresh cheeses and vegetables. Excellent as an aperitif.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:11 am

I complained in a recent post about the lack of rosé type weather. That has changed and we are into an early heat wave expected to culminate on Saturday with temperatures around 39°C (over 100°F) :shock: . So it's likely that I will be posting on several over the next few days. Here is a nice one (c.€8) from the charming Luberon region.

2021 Demazet Luberon Les 2 Bastides - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Luberon (15/06/2022)
I enjoyed this much more than a recent Tavel. Colour salmon pink, lively and refreshing with nice (probably) Grenache dominated fruit and a fragrant overlay close to English boiled sweet (bonbon anglais) but fortunately, for me, not well into that territory. Add to that pleasant acidity and a little grip and there is much to enjoy in a simple way.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
Next