The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus June 2022 - Rosé all day!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wine Focus June 2022 - Rosé all day!

by Jenise » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:52 pm

Tim, file that under " be careful what you ask for", but in the meantime enjoy the roses. We're experiencing the front end of your problem ourselves. We still haven't had a single day over 70F. Got to 69 yesterday but today we're freezing again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:42 am

I stretched for this wine at the store because of the estate's reputation. It was created in the late 60s by Georges Brunet, previously owner of Château La Lagune, who saw potential for Cabernet Sauvignon on this beautiful Provençal site and brought many grafts from La Lagune. His first vintage was in 1970 and the red grand vin, made from Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah, quickly gathered favourable reviews in French gastronomic magazines. I remember drinking it with great pleasure in restaurants on the Côte d'Azur in the 70s when both the vines and the wines themselves were quite young. The next time I tried one was probably in the early 00s and I thought the quality had taken a plunge masked by luxurious oaking. Since 2007, the property has been owned by a Scandinavian couple, Mette and Bengt Sundstrom, who have restored standards according to the RVF and Bettane/Desseauve. This entry level pink is good and lends credibility to that. I must try the grand vin again.

2020 Château Vignelaure Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence La Source - France, Provence, Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence (17/06/2022)
This is an enjoyable salmon pink coloured rosé from the famous Vignelaure estate in Provence. It is an entry level offering for this estate, a touch crisper and less bonbon anglais than a recent Luberon but otherwise quite similar other than in price (close to double). The addition of Cabernet Sauvignon to the usual meridional grape cocktail probably contributes to this crispness and adds grip. Good.

Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:04 pm

2019 Château de Pibarnon Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (18/06/2022)
This is a more serious rosé than most I have had recently. Colour is slightly deeper and less salmon than the typical rosé de Provence. There is more heft, roundness and depth than in those but I felt it was holding something back aromatically. Having just heard great enthusiasm from a reliable source for the 2020, I wonder if this has not gone into a passing slightly dumb phase, if that is possible with a pink. Good though.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:07 pm

Tim York wrote:I wonder if this has not gone into a passing slightly dumb phase, if that is possible with a pink. Good though...

Surely all wines go through stages of evolution as their elements chemically transform.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:59 pm

Tim York wrote:2019 Château de Pibarnon Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (18/06/2022)
This is a more serious rosé than most I have had recently. Colour is slightly deeper and less salmon than the typical rosé de Provence. There is more heft, roundness and depth than in those but I felt it was holding something back aromatically. Having just heard great enthusiasm from a reliable source for the 2020, I wonder if this has not gone into a passing slightly dumb phase, if that is possible with a pink. Good though.

Could be, though I will say that the 2019 Tempier Rosé has never hit the level that I expect. It’s good, but lacking something. Maybe not a great year for Bandol Rosé.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:46 am

I attended a rose party last Sunday. The wines were from all over the world. I tasted most of them and found lots of variation. Took no notes but among my favorites, I'm very surprised to report, was an entry from Paso Robles called Daou, I think it is spelled. A Mulderbosch from South Africa and a Spanish Marques de Caceras were also quite delicious.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:52 am

Think I will toss a final rose in the fridge for this evening.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:59 am

Did end up with a 2021 Bedrock Wine Co. Ode to Lulu Rosé. Lovely for a summer evening. Mostly Mourvèdre and has the deep fruit to show for it. Still playful and fresh.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:26 pm

One last one that we sipped on the patio last night:

2021 Domaine Les Capréoles Gamay Cossinelle Beaujolais
Bought this new-to-me producer because Beaujolais roses are so consistently fine, and this didn't disappoint. A pretty shade of light pink with flavors that are zesty yet elegant. 13% abv. Will be going back to my source for more.
Previous