The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Unplanned pairs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Unplanned pairs

by Jay Labrador » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Dinner last night at Cirkulo. Unplanned, but we got top 2010 Rioja and Ribera and 2009 Bordeaux and Napa blends. I also brought two sherries, among other things.

Ribera and Rioja:
Vega Sicilia Unico 2010 - dark, rich, brooding, and oak peeking out every now and then. Leave alone for 5 more years at least.
Marques de Murrieta Castillo Ygay 2010 - bright, lifted, sweet red berries. Very attractive already.
Rioja wins over Ribera for me.

Bordeaux and Napa:
Grand-Puy-Lacoste 2009 - Pop and pour, but quite attractive right out of the bottle. Pretty rich, but soft tannins. All black fruit at this point and a really nice drink.
Opus One 2009 - Very rich, sweet, opulent, but not over the top. All sweet fruit.
I preferred the slightly more structured Bordeaux here.

Two Sherries:
Bodegas Hidalgo Oloroso Faraon VORS - Wine of the night for me , and tied with the Unico as wine of the night of the group. Beautiful - nutty, slightly woody, a gentle sweetness. With food or alone, a winner. Outstanding.
Bodegas Hidalgo Pedro Xienez Triana VORS - Dates, Christmas pudding, prunes, raisins, etc. etc. Finally, a wine that stood up to dessert, although we could have skipped the dessert and just had this PX.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Unplanned pairs

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:09 pm

Wow does that sound spectacular!
Decisions are made by those who show up