The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Billards over Foillard, Metras, Lapierre

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Billards over Foillard, Metras, Lapierre

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:14 pm

After the spectacular Coudert/Desvignes showing a couple of weeks ago, I was looking forward to round 2 of Beaujolais by the Lake. I picked up Jeff and Craig at N. White Plains, and then we spent 1.5 hours on a 50 minute drive- at least I had good company in traffic. We arrived, and put out our contributions - charcuterie, cheeses, olives, and bread.

2018 At Roca Rosato (disgorged in 2021)
Quiet, Rainier cherry and orange zest, a little coarse, but decent rose cava. B+/B

What followed was a bit perplexing, a lineup I was eager to taste was mostly meh. Though room was quite warm, wines were all served at perfect temps, so that wasn’t the issue.:)
Maybe it was just me.

2011 Lapierre Morgon
Lifted, simple, a reminder I like Lapierre best young. B-

2011 Foillard Cote du Py Morgon
Corked

2011 Chamonard Clos de Lys Morgon

Big, tannin, dark fruited, good length B+

MMXI Lapierre (2011 Cuvee Marcel)
Ripe , fleshy, not thrilling. B

2011 Metras L’Ultime Fleurie

Floral with that green aroma I often get in Loire Gamay (I call it geranium, though I’m not strong botanically), aromas of wood even though I think not new oak? C+

2010 Foillard Cote du Py Morgon
I liked more than others. There’s a little volatile lifted note, but not extreme, but some nice black cherry and mushroom notes, but finish seems slightly tired. B

2010 Lapierre Morgon
Distinct VA, red fruited,

2000 Jadot Beaujolais-Villages
I thought it was optimistic of Cathleen to open,but ended up being one of my favorites. If very mature. Dead leaves when first opened, but cleans up, , cigarbox and forest floor, some cherry fruit hanging on.Fun.B/B+

2010 Foillard Corcelette Morgon
I liked much more than some others. Darker fruit, smoked meat, some floral notes. B+

2010 Metras L’Ultime Fleurie
Hey, it’s lots better than the 11 or 09. Snappy red fruit, some wood, herbal notes. B

2009 Metras Fleurie
Good fruit, a bit low acid, again I don’t think this uses oak but has a vanilla tone. B-

2009 Lapierre Morgon
My fave of the Lapierres. Ripe and rich, but with a solid mineral core. B/B+

Next was a blind wine,though Sasha told us 09 Beaujolais.Most crus were named, and I actually went with Beaujolais AC, as it reminded me of a recent 05 Brun L’Ancien. Really quite good, fresh red fruit but with complex herbal notes and a silky texture, light but with great finish. Brad actually got the exact wine, 2009 Billards St Amour A-

2009 Thevenet Morgon VV
Pretty developed but with remaining tannin, but good fruit, some anise, some earth. B+/A-

2009 Foillard Cote du Py Morgon
again a bit lifted, but feels advanced , while I still liked more than others there is some distinct brett, though within my tolerance level .B

2012 Gatinois Brut Champagne
I think this is BdN, but wouldn’t guess that, the supercrisp texture and apple/[earprofile would strike me as more BdB, but others feltit classic BdN. But I liked B+

2009 Metras l’Ultime Fleurie
Red fruit, floral stems, sawdust. Not a fan. B-/C+

I think the MMIX Lapierre (2009 Cuvee Marcel) was out, but if I tasted I didn’t take notes. There were plenty of wines left but I had a schedule to keep (I was spitting, and blew an .02 after drinking the Champagne). I don’t know why so many wines- some of which I have liked before,seemed to putter, storage history was excellent. I don’t have a BioD calendar to blame it on a root day. I did leave early, and some later wines showed well I heard. But I had fun.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Billards over Foillard, Metras, Lapierre

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:45 pm

Dale Williams wrote:What followed was a bit perplexing, a lineup I was eager to taste was mostly meh. Though room was quite warm, wines were all served at perfect temps, so that wasn’t the issue.:)
Maybe it was just me..

Yes, lots of wines in that list that sound fun on paper, so I can see how you might have been hoping for a better experience.

I'm not an expert on the science of the issue, but I have found that hot/humid days will affect the wines (or the wine drinking experience) above and beyond serving temperature. Even if I cool down the room with AC, it's often not the best time to open some of my fine aged wines. Or even a fine semi-aged Beaujolais!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Billards over Foillard, Metras, Lapierre

by Jenise » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:02 pm

On a warm day we usually serve Beaujolais chilled. I understand it's ideal just a bit warmer than refrigerator-cold, but on a hot day it gets there fast enough. But nevermind that, I was impressed that you had that many Metras but apparently none justified the hype. I've never had a good Metras myself, including several that I hand-carried home from Fleurie.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov