The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner went well: Lauer, Movia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Dinner went well: Lauer, Movia

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Had a friend over for dinner and opened 2017 Lauer Schonfels Faß 11 as the aperitif wine. Very delicious, but probably doesn't need to be typecast as an 'aperitif' wine. Firm and ripe but still bright and fresh, with layers that continued to reveal themselves well after dinner. So zesty, so focused, so lovely, so good!

Dinner was one of those unique matches, drinking 2008 Movia Lunar 9 Chardonnay with beans flavored with miso and saffron, roasted trumpet mushrooms, carrot salad, cucumber salad, sauteed spinach and a combination of spelt gnocchi and pumpkin gnocchi. I won't say this was the only wine that could have matched the meal, but it was a beautiful synergy that would not have been replicated with many of the other wines I usually keep around. Savory orange wine texture with the waxy phenolic notes that stand up well to the food, but still with plenty of vegetarian-friendly brightness.

All's well when it goes well.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dinner went well: Lauer, Movia

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:44 am

The Faß 11 is what manner of wine? GG? Feinherb?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Dinner went well: Lauer, Movia

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:16 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The Faß 11 is what manner of wine? GG? Feinherb?

GG. He makes so many wines, it's hard for me to get a comprehensive sense. But this was gorgeous and something for me to follow. I also recently had the 2017 Feils Faß 13 GG, which was smokier/earthier, and also very delicious, but this Schonfels was the complete package.