The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chilean white Pedro Ximenez

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: Chilean white Pedro Ximenez

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:47 am

Oops, I neglected to post this last week, but don't run away at the sight of the subject line: This is a surprisingly good Chilean white made from Pedro Ximenez. It's particularly fine for summer sipping, but I'd definitely open it any time of year.

Viña Mayu 2020 Huanta Vineyard Valle de Elqui Chile Pedro Ximenez ($14.99)

In a relatively rare use of this white grape that's usually destined for sweet Sherry, Viña Mayu Valle de Elqui Chile Pedro Ximenez is a refreshing, food-friendly dry white wine that's especially suited for summer enjoyment. Its clear, light straw color adds a pretty brassy hue. Delicious citric aromas of lemon-lime and tangerine are apparent at first, with hints of wildflowers and beeswax playing behind the citrus fruit. It's bright, acidic, and dry on the palate, with citrus flavors following the nose, and hints of stony minerality and peach pit bitterness appearing in a medium-long finish. It's fermented and aged briefly in stainless steel, so it's free of oak character, but aging on the yeast lees imparts desirable complexity. 12.5%alcohol. U.S. importer: Vine Connections, Sausalito, Calif. (June 18, 2022)

FOOD MATCH: The winery suggests pairing it with seafood and shellfish, and that's good advice. It will go pretty much anywhere that a dry white is welcome, and was just right with bucatini and pesto.

WHEN TO DRINK: Its acidity and a sturdy screwcap should keep it appealing for a few years, but it's not a cellar keeper. I suggest drinking it young and fresh.

VALUE:
My local price matches Wine-Searcher.com's $15 average U.S. retail. It's a good buy in the middle teens. It's widely available for as low as $10, though, so check Wine-Searcher and shop around if you can.

WEB LINK:
Here's a link to the winery's information page about Mayu Pedro Ximenez.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Check prices and find vendors for Viña Mayu Valle de Elqui Chile Pedro Ximenez on Wine-Searcher.com.

Read more about Chile's Elqui Valley and browse dozens of wines of the region at this Wine-Searcher link.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Chilean white Pedro Ximenez

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:42 am

Huh. Kinda want to try one just to have done so.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:43 pm

That's why I bought it! :lol:

Apparently Chile's Elqui Valley is known for two things: Astronomical observatories because it has some of the clearest skies on earth; and pisco, which in the Chilean form is distilled from ... Pedro Ximinez! PX apparently goes into a fair amount of really forgettable white wine, too, but Viña Mayu takes it seriously.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote: PX apparently goes into a fair amount of really forgettable white wine, too...

Yes, I was going to say. I've had dry white PX from Spain that was completely neutral and boring and was curious what you would present in your report.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:29 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Yes, I was going to say. I've had dry white PX from Spain that was completely neutral and boring and was curious what you would present in your report.

I expect their decision to leave it on the lees in stainless steel for four months is telling. It's really surprisingly complex. I got it just for fun - white PX! - but I really enjoyed it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:33 pm

I've had that a few times, too, though maybe a vintage or two ago. Really liked it as well.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov