The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: bubbles, rose, Rioja, Sancerre, Chianti, Rully

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: bubbles, rose, Rioja, Sancerre, Chianti, Rully

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:14 pm

With a Vietnamese-influenced beef and carrot m the 2021 Feudo di Montoni Rose di Adele.
Red cherries, black pepper, lemon zest. Good zip, enjoyable. B/B+

After a slog of Beaujolais (spitting), home on a hot evening to fried chicken and theNV Lombard 1er Cru Extra Brut Champagne (2015 base, Sept 2021 disg). More austere than I remember, with nectarine, apple, and a little toast. B/B-

Sunday to a dinner party on a patio in Irvington. Cheeses,dips, olives and such to start, with the NV (I think) Rolet Cremant du Jura. Just a hint of RS, apple pie, pastry crust. Really quite nice. B

Main course was a Spanish baked rice with paella and chickpeas. I brought the 2003 Lopezde Heredia Tondonia Reserva. Previously I thought this was good for 2003, now I think it’sgood period. Warm red plums, herbs, a touch of coconut. Full, ripe, easy tannins, moderate acids. Drinking well now, and I plan on putting more in the rotation soon. Not your 40 year LdH, but drinking well now. B+/A-

Some friends are going to their house in Nova Scotia for summer (first time since pandemic), we had them for dinner Monday. Started with shrimp cocktail and the 2019 Balland Sancerre. Hey, I just remembered I should mow soon! One seriously grassy SB. Shrill, all (unripe) gooseberry and grass.C+
Main course roast chickens, truffled sweet potatoes, salad, with the 2019 Montesecondo Chianti Classico. Black and dried cherries, hint of saddle leather, mild tannin, bright acid. B+/B

Grilled salmon with citrus and herbs, 2019 Drouhin Rully Blanc. Pear, hazelnut, white flowers, ripe but with good acids.B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.