The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: On the Lam

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: On the Lam

by Jenise » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:09 pm

2017 Lamole di Lamole Chianti Classico Chianti Classico DOCG Sangiovese
Plucked off a supermarket shelf last week for under $20 where I was cruising for some decent everyday Chianti, which I'm out of. Not familiar with this producer, just picked it because it was a '17. Nicely evolved with dusty red fruits and herbs, and there's a hint of tertiary development off in the distance with appropriate acidity and tannins. As good on its own as it is with food. Great QPR.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: On the Lam

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:21 pm

Interesting. If I see a bottle I will try it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:42 pm

Sounds good. Never heard of producer., Opened thread expecting a GV note. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:00 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Sounds good. Never heard of producer., Opened thread expecting a GV note. :)

That would be On the Lamm. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Interesting. If I see a bottle I will try it.

It was good. It's not in the same league as Felsina or those guys, but for the price and straight off a supermarket shelf? In my neighborhood, it's a bargain.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:43 pm

Just got this from Rare Wine Company about this producer:

When vinous.com's Antonio Galloni chose to publish an excerpt from Alessandro Masnaghetti's forthcoming book on Chianti Classico, he chose Alessandro's article on Lamole. And it was fitting he did. Lamole could be the least understood, yet the most exciting, of all eleven of Chianti Classico's newly created UGAs.
Lamole is a tiny area, with only 90 hectares of vines, most of them terraced. And until recently it had no famous estates. The lack of interest in Lamole was due to its high altitude, which resulted in late ripening and a style of Chianti that is delicate and perfumed, rather than bold and powerful.
But with summer temperatures soaring, interest in Lamole has soared as well. And that resurgence of interest was led by Jurij Fiore, the son of the great enologist Vittorio Fiore, who produced his first wines from Lamole in 2015, having been attracted by its high altitude, old vines and unique soils.
Jurij’s first three releases were the single-vineyard Nonlosò, Puntodivista and Porcacciamiseri, each made in a thrillingly transparent style and offered as a set each year. But starting in 2019, Jurij has made a fourth wine, Sonocosí, that’s yet another take on terroir.
Primarily from a single ancient vineyard near the Castello di Lamole, but with additions from nearby old vineyards, Sonocosí sees no wood, having been aged in concrete tanks for seven months before bottling. The result is a 100% Sangiovese Chianti Classico of remarkable purity. At $27.95 a bottle—with a 6+ bottle purchase—it is an extraordinary value.
Back Story
With his Lamole project, Jurij is in the Tuscan vanguard of producing and selling wines based on terroir not on brands or estate names.
Jurij’s mission began in the village of Lamole, where he discovered 100-year-old vineyards of an ancient clone, Sangiovese di Lamole. All of them are on the high slope of Lamole, sheltered from the north winds, but open to the gentle breeze from the Tyrrhenian Sea and home to a cool climate that slowly brings the fruit to an ideal balance of expressiveness and structure.
The soils are also extraordinary: classic galestro marl but with the rare Macigno blue-grey sandstone that gives Lamole’s wines their characteristic freshness and fine tannins.
Despite its bargain price, Sonocosi is an outstanding example of a gifted winemaker allowing a terroir to express itself without interference. We urge you to grab at least a 6-pack.

By the way, if you haven't yet secured your copy of Masaghetti's new Chianti Classico "bible" at our special pre-publication price, you can do so here.
2020 Jurij Fiore
Chianti Classico “Sonocosí”
$27.95 btl with a 6+ btl purchase
Single Bottle Price: $29.95