The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Prague and New York

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gerry Dunne

Rank

Just got here

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:13 am

Belfast

Prague and New York

by Gerry Dunne » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:18 am

Hi guys and girls.

My wife and I are visiting Prague next week and will be in New York in August. Any suggestions for "must visit" restaurants in either city would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry

:P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Prague and New York

by Jenise » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Gerry, can't help you with Prague, but NY has what is probably more Must Visit restaurants than any other city on earth. Without knowing your taste in food and ambience, how long you're going to be there and what kind of moolah you're willing to pop on a meal, it's a bit difficult for others to help out without having more parameters to work with. To me, "Must Visit" would tend to imply to me the restaurants with big name chefs and world-class reputations, but that may not be what you mean by it at all. So, more clarification, please.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:24 pm

Here are some notes from a trip to Prauge a few years ago, Gerry; both Janet and I loved the city and the people. It's a great place to walk -- everything is very close, and fascinating.

5/26/01 Sat Four Seasons Hotel, Prague.

Train from Vienna to Prague, about five hours. Pleasant ride but flat and boring scenery. Tour of the Jewish quarter. Dinner at the Four Seasons.

5/27/01 Sun Four Seasons Hotel, Prague. Rainy day, mostly visiting Lesser Town with excellent salad for lunch at a sidewalk café near the St. Nicholas church. Museum of Decorative Arts with great variety of glass and two splendid stained glass windows.

5/28/01 Mon Four Seasons Hotel, Prague. A day spent primarily at the Prague Castle: cathedral, Queen Anna Summer Palace, Convent of St. George, Golden Lane, presidential offices, ten centuries of art in Bohemia, lots of pictures. Late dinner on the river at a small, pleasant restaurant after failing to find our target restaurant (which lay across a small inlet next door, and where we ate for the next two nights). 2 Sambuca; 1 Frankovka.

5/29/01 Tue Four Seasons Hotel, Prague. Kampa Park Restaurant on the river with eight swans flying in a modified V. $48.

Shopping in Prague: jewelry at Galerie Vlasta.

5/30/01 Wed Four Seasons Hotel, Prague. Kampa Park Restaurant with large crowds and less pleasure than the first night. Lovely walk to the hotel over the Charles Bridge.

Czech Republic Wines:

1997 Zonovin Znojmo Denis d’Or Se Sidlem v. Satové Czech Republic. Blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot. No taste, just color. 1*.

1996 Château Valtice Rulandské modré archivini Vinné sklepy Valtice Vinarskaá obec Novosedly Czech Republic. 12.5% alcohol. The sommelier said this was 100% Pinot Noir; “modré” means “blue”; and Rulandské is just a name. Medium red color; medium hue; intense aroma and taste of good fruit and some spice; good tannins; long finish. Quite a nice wine, but a single note throughout with little complexity. Certainly the nicest red Czech Republic wine we had. 3*.

1999 Château Valtice Rulandské modré Vinné sklepy Valtice Vinarskaá obec Novosedly Czech Republic. 12.5% alcohol. Winery founded in 1640 according to the label; the waiter called this “Blue Rulanské” and said the winery was located in Morovia – he thought the wine was a blend of two Czech grapes. Deep red color; deep hue; intense aroma of fruit and spice; a limited fruit taste – “watery” according to Janet – but quite nice and a nice food wine with lots of vegetables. 2*.

In New York City, please do as Jenise suggests -- there is so much there -- we need a bit of taste guidance.
no avatar
User

Gerry Dunne

Rank

Just got here

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:13 am

Belfast

by Gerry Dunne » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:46 am

Thanks Jenise and Bob.

Bob — Through internet research I am familiar with the Kampa Park and it was on my list, together with the Nebozizek; Triton and Hot (we will be staying at the Jalta Hotel). So thanks for the info on your visit and on the Czech wines.

Jenise — We will be in NY for six nights (12th-18th Aug) staying mid-town Manhattan (but hotel not booked yet). Will be with friends who are celebrating 25th wedding anniversary so are looking for something special. Tastes are pretty wide — anything from Italian, French, Indian, through Thai.

Gerry
Gerry
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:41 am

Gerry Dunne wrote:Hi guys and girls.

My wife and I are visiting Prague next week and will be in New York in August. Any suggestions for "must visit" restaurants in either city would be greatly appreciated. Gerry :P

I second what Jenise said regarding New York. And you should visit the Zagat survey online or buy a good restaurant guide to find the types of restaurants that suit you. It's a cliche that you could dine out every evening for a lifetime in The City and not deplete new and wonderful experiences. I've been in New York City twice over the last two weeks on business and every time I eat anything there, I say, Wow! if only my hometown had food like this. Even the train station has better food than I can get where I live.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:48 am

Bob Ross wrote:Here are some notes from a trip to Prauge a few years ago

Thanks, Bob. Lynn and I are planning to visit soon. From your notes, and what others have said, it's not a place to wine and dine, but a great place to experience old Europe. So, you really can't recommend a Wow! restaurant there?

Covert
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:35 pm

The Four Season restaurant was superb, Covert. But the prices were just unbelievably high. The staff asked why we didn't eat there more often, but they agreed with our opinion that the small restaurants had excellent food, and prices a tenth of those at the Four Seasons.

Neither of us can remember having a bad meal in Prague -- sometimes the taverns in the student districts were noisy and smoky, but the food and beer was invariably good.

You'll eat well that's for sure.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Covert, in case you don't get the Sunday Times, there's a really good article on Prague. I'll be glad to forward it if you don't see it.

They recco the restaurant at the Four Seasons for its wonderful Italian food. As I mentioned earlier, it was excellent when we dined there, but although we loved the hotel, we thought the restaurant was very pricey, and the Czech cafe food excellent.

They also emphasize the beer -- which is superb and many little seen labels -- but indicate Czech wine has improved recently.

Let me know if you need the article.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Vakhtang_K

Rank

Just got here

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:33 am

Georgia, Tbilisi

by Vakhtang_K » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:58 pm

I've been in czech repiblic two years ago. so info might not be quit accureta.
but in prague i enjoeyd restorant "architect"(or architector/ not sure which was the name) to taste wine you can travel to moravia region.(of course you can taste anywhere but if you whant to visit winery's) brno is a very nice city i loved it more then prague. but you can't visit czech republic and don't go to karlovy-vary it's a great place. also there are many castles to visit all over the country. there is a good "aqua park" in liberec. Carlshtein is a must-visit castle. i can't remember other places now but there was one "freaky" place where everything was made from bones and skeletons, and there was a line it said "there was a time we were like you, there will be time you'll be like us" lol a great country to visit but you must have time to visit all places i had a month and i still could not visit many places.