The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A White (Friuli) & A Red (Rhone)...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A White (Friuli) & A Red (Rhone)...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:23 pm

Had these two last night w/ dinner:
1. Vignai da Duline Malvasia Chioma Integrale Dd'OC: Friuli Venezia Giulia (12.5%; 100% Malvasia Istriana; KermitLynch/Berkeley) LorenzoMocchiutti/Vignai da Duline/SanGiovanni al Natisone 2020: Light gold color; very strong Malvasia Istriana/slight muscatty/rather spicy/very floral slight mineral/perfumed talc quite perfumed classic Md'I nose; rather tart/tangy slight metallic/steely totally dry very perfumed Md'I/floral/gardenias/spicy bit cardamon somewhat austere/metallic bit restrained/nuanced bit steely/flinty structured lovely bracing flavor; very long quite tart/tangy metallic/steely some minerally/perfumed talc bit subtle rather Md'I/floral/gardenias somewhat austere totally dry finish; speaks quietly/nuanced of MdI; not as rich & lush & blatently Malvasia as most; a wiry/bracing Md'I that needs several yrs & should go out 10 yrs; bit pricey at $43.00 (AV)
2. Herve Souhaut LaSouteronne VdF IGP: Ardeche (13.8%; 100% Gamay; 60-80 yr old vines; Jenny&Francois Slctns/NY; http://www.romaneaux.destezet.free.fr) Dom.Romaneaux-Destezet Herve Souhaut/Arlebosc/LaSouteronne 2019: Dark color; strong Gamay/plummy/bit strawberry/licorice some Bojo-GrandCru-like/Morgon light earthy/loamy bit rustic light Rhonish/roasted some complex rather interesting nose; fairly tart/tangy strong Gamay/plummy/Morgon-like/bit strawberry light Fr.oak slight roasted/Rhonish somewhat earthy/loamy rather complex flavor w/ modest bracing tannins; very long fairly strong plummy/Gamay/Morgon-like/bit licorice bit rustic light toasty/Fr.oak slight roasted/Rhonish slight bitey/tangy/metallic some complex finish w/ light bitey tannins; reminds a lot of a young Morgon GC Bojo but with something a bit out of kilter w/ slight roasted/Rhonish character; needs 2-6 yrs of age; quite an interesting red. $39.00 (BigMood/KC)
1. Malvasia: Most Malviasia is Malvisia Bianco, which has a strong floral/almost muscatty scent. Malvasia d'Istria or Malvasia Istriana is originates from the Istrian Peninsula & is planted widely in Friuli/Carso/Slovenia/Croatia, where it was brought from Greece. In Croatia, it is known as Malvasia Istarska.
I particularly like wines made from Md'I. They have a more subtle Malvasia scent and are not as muscatty in character as Malvasia Bianco.
This was a rather unusual expression of Md'I. Mostly are fairly forward & drinkable from the get-go. This one was unusually bracing & austere & seems to need some age and not as strongly perfumed as most. But I think it's a good/solid Md'I.
2. Souhaut: This comes from the right bank of the Rhone right across from the Hermitage Hill. The vines come from the Gamay grape, a rarity in the Rhone, and hence must have only a VinDeFrance designation.
Jenny&Francoise is an importer that specializes mostly in natural wines. The Souhaut indicates his wines are made following natural practices, but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve. The wine, though a bit rustic, showed no natty or unclean character whatsoever. So it can be done.
3. BigMood: I got this wine back in KansasCity last week at a new wine bar/shop called Big Mood in the Crossroads area of downtown KC. The guy has a focus on natural wines. I tasted thru 4 wines from his wine bar. Two showed a bit of natty character, but not strongly so. The other two were perfectly clean. If you must have a natural wine, this is your place. Highly recommended.
Tom
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: A White (Friuli) & A Red (Rhone)...(short/boring)

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:21 pm

When you say "right bank of the Rhone", that's when facing South (downstream for the Rhone), so it's across the river from the town of Tain?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Right..

by TomHill » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:25 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:When you say "right bank of the Rhone", that's when facing South (downstream for the Rhone), so it's across the river from the town of Tain?

-Paul W.

That's facing downstream. I think the Rhone runs east/west at that point.
Tom
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: A White (Friuli) & A Red (Rhone)...(short/boring)

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:20 pm

Yes, the Rhone flows in a southeastward bend at Tain. When we stayed there during a wine tasting trip, I remember being struck by the way that sunlight at sunset reflecting off the river illuminated the side of the Hermitage hill until nearly 10 PM.

-Paul W.