The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gold indeed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Gold indeed

by Jenise » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:33 am

So over the last two weeks we've been sampling Italian reds available at local supermarkets. Italian imports are popular here because of the relatively good values, and I have an upcoming event that will focus on Italy. The last time I did something similar, I bought all the wine from a local cooperative where I believed the wines were hand-chosen (and therefore recommended) by the department manager only to learn that essentially he had the distribs restock the same brands year in/out and was unaware of how poor some of them were or had become.

I didn't shop there this time nor did I seek guidance anywhere else. I just went to the market with the largest staff and inventory and took one of this, one of that, including the Gabbiano in this note. I had basically been avoiding the big brands and somehow this one slipped in. I'm so glad.

2016 Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico Cavaliere d'Oro Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG
This is far and away the best of the Italian reds we've tried, and we liked quite a few. Unmistakably Italian and satisfyingly evolved at six years out with warm and juicy dark red and black fruits, baking spice, raisins, salami and canned tomato notes. Medium-full body and endorphin-inducing. Drinks way, way above it's $22 price when you consider what $22 buys you among domestic wines. We opened this Thursday night I've already been back to the store to buy their remaining six bottles.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Gold indeed

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:50 pm

Nice. I got a score on the last 6 bottles of a 2017 Felsina CC a couple of weeks ago. Now just need to wait for shipping weather.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:35 pm

So I just heard from a friend and one of the best palates I know who lists Chianti as his favorite red wine, who read this note and said no way, not Gabbiano. So he bought a bottle just to re-affirm that he was right to dismiss it--and loved it. Went back for a case. I wasn't wrong!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:20 pm

Every once in a while even a blind winery finds a nut! ;)

Reminds me of a vintage of the Sebastiani Sonoma County Cabernet a few years back that was outrageously good for the $, and totally out of stylistic character for the brand at the time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:59 pm

Love it when that happens.