The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So David B re Ramey '19 Rochioli chard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So David B re Ramey '19 Rochioli chard

by Jenise » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:26 pm

$41. How many cases should I buy? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: So David B re Ramey '19 Rochioli chard

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:49 pm

Well I have not tasted it yet. My order is on weather hold for fall. That said, I suspect backing up the truck is not a bad idea.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:16 pm

So I took the 'truck' over to the store where I bought the two Ramey Rochiolis yesterday. Today, same stack (one box with the top half cut off on two potentially unopened boxes). There were maybe 9 bottles in the open box, but only two were Rochiolis, the rest Russians. We checked the two boxes underneath--one held four Rochioli's and nothing else, and the bottom box was a full case of Russians. The middle box then was likely all Rochioli and only dipped into to refill the open box on top. I checked the winery markings on all three boxes; they were identical. The store, a local chain, had no idea what it had; they don't have any Ramey SVs in their inventory and in fact don't carry any chardonnay over $50. I was lucky to get eight. And yes I did drive to every other branch just to make sure there weren't any other 'mistakes' laying around. $41.46 ea before tax.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:47 pm

Good for you. Ouch for David’s distributor.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:40 pm

I actually figured the mistake was more likely to be when the whole price of a case of six, as pricier bottles are often sold, gets divided by the usual case size, 12. But that wasn't the case here. The Rochiolis were in the same regular case as the Russians. More likely a winery error than a distributor problem, I think.

But hey, I love it when this happens. And it doesn't happen as often as it used to now that technology has taken most human error out of the equation. The last time I got lucky, it was $100 bottles for $50--the case size error I mentioned.