The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Old Zins....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three Old Zins....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:13 pm

Cracked these three relics open last night:
1. ScherrerVnyd Zin AlexVlly Old&Mature Vines (14.3%; Plntd: 1912) ScherrerWines/Sebastopol 1993: Med.dark rather browning color; strong cedary/pencilly/oldZin bit licorice slight blackberry/Zin fairly tired nose; soft rather tangy/metallic quite cedary/pencilly/old Zin little fruit sharp/dried-out flavor w/ light gentle drying/astringent tannins; pretty much dead & gone.
2. Quivira DryCreekCuvee DryCreekVlly (40% PetiteSirah35% Grenache/25% Zin; 13.5%) QuiviraVnyds/Healdsburg; Holly&Henry Wendt 1993: Dark rather browning color; rather musty/tired cedary/pencilly/oldZin no fruit somewhat funky nose; soft/flat quite tired/no fruit very metallic/dried out/tangy fairly cedary/pencilly/old Zin flavor w/ light quite astringent tannins; pretty much dead & gone w/ no redeeming features.
3. RosenblumCllrs Zin SamselVnyd/Maggie's Reserve SonomaVlly (14.3%; 3% AlicanteBouschet; U/U) RosenblumCllrs/Alameda 1991: Ullaged below the shoulder, lots of leakage, totally crumbled cork; very dark some murky/brown color; strong cedary/pencilly/oldZin fairly strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe Zin/licorice bit late hrvsty/fumey strong toasty/oak/smokey complex nose; soft some tangy/metallic/oldRed strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe Zin/spicy/big fruit strong toasty/oak bit cedary/pencilly/oldRed bit hot/alcoholic/fumey some complex bit tired/drying flavor w/ light ripe tannins; very long strong blackberry/ripe Zin/bit spicy strong toasty/oak bit tired/drying/astringent finish w/ light drying tannins; still shows loads of ripe Zin fruit & somewhat late hrvsty/fumey/alcoholic but starting to dry out on the palate.
1. KentRosenblum was a practicing vet in Alameda, starting making wine in his basement, then went commercial in 1978 when he opened his wnry in the old locomotive repair bldg there in the defunct Alameda NAS. He shared the bldg w/ GeorgeRumpf, maker of distilled brandies. I, of course, followed Kent from the very start. When I'd fly into the Bay area, I'd always make that run from the OAK airport down to Rosenblum. Kent sold Rosenblum to Diageo & I've pretty much lost interest in the wines. They have a tasting room in Oakland/JackLondonSquare but have not bothered to stop in. Don't know where the wines are made. They still feature Kent prominently on their WebSite (www.RosenblumCellars.com). He later started up Rockwall w/ his daughter, Shauna. She is now the winemaker at Ridge/LyttonSprings.
The Samsel Zin was always my favorite wine of Kent's. No idea where those grapes go these days.
Kent died last Sept unexpectedly. I certainly miss Kent and his two identical twin brothers, Sven & Ollie.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Three Old Zins....(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:48 pm

For years and years my parents’ favorite Zin was the Rosenblum Richard Saurat. They went through cases and cases of that wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup..

by TomHill » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:For years and years my parents’ favorite Zin was the Rosenblum Richard Saurat. They went through cases and cases of that wine.

Yup... the Richard Sauret Zin was one of the better Zins out of PasoRobles. Not as over the top/overripe as many because Richard was such a great farmer. The Eberle Sauret was also quite a good one.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:33 pm

I was opposite your parents, David. Found the Saurat a bit too jammy but liked everything from further north, some with female names that escape me and especially one called, I think, Harris Kratka.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Harris Kratka was my favorite.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:19 pm

Yeah...more structure. Whatever rookie mistakes I made back in those days, and there were many, I can at least be proud that liking jammy flavors was never one of them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:58 pm

Not sure how far back you go with the Saurat wines, but 1991-1994 were the house favorites.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:58 am

Probably same time frame. It was while we were living in Alaska, which was 90-95. That's when we got into wine period.