The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Peterson's Big Barn Red '97

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Linda Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:04 pm

Central Virginia

WTN: Peterson's Big Barn Red '97

by Linda Baldwin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:12 pm

I sent Frank to the cellar to grab something red for our steak. I told him to pick a Coffaro off the floor (I hadn't "filed" them in the racks yet). He poked around and called that he had found a Peterson wine on the floor, what did I think about it. Frank really likes Fred and his wine. We've been out to his place and he stayed here with us for a weekend a few years ago. Anyhow, it was the '97 Agraria Big Barn Red, so about 9 yrs old. We poured a glass immediately, about an hour before dinner. It had plenty of structure, but it was sooooooo fresh! It opened up over the couple of hours but never lost its personality. I threw away the bottle, but I think it's 75% Cab Franc and the rest Merlot, a strange combo to me. Plenty of tannin to last for some more years, but really smooth with fresh cherry and raspberry, maybe a little chocolate. This was the 5th of 6 bottles I got at the winery, and we have absolutely loved every one of them.

Linda
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Peterson's Big Barn Red '97

by Jenise » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:26 pm

How nice to see a tasting note from you again, Linda, been a LOOOONG time!

As for Cab Franc and Merlot being a strange combo, it's actually very usual in Bordeaux. At least on the right bank. Like Cheval Blanc, of recent Sideways fame. A couple vintners in California are now mixing that pair also. Conn Creek and Havens come immediately to mind.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov