The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Good news: Robin's home from the hospital!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Good news: Robin's home from the hospital!

by Jenise » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:58 am

He posted the good news on Facebook an hour ago.

For Dale, Jeff and others who had asked, what follows is Robin's explanation of events. In light of his situation, I can't help but think of people I know of similar age who predict it will be "just like having a cold". Not for everyone, it's not. I'm very glad to have my anti-Omicron booster scheduled for tomorrow!

A lot of you are asking why I've been in the hopsital for a week...I got a mild case of Covid on Aug 31. The only real symptom was fatique. I was given Paxlovid and felt about the same. But a few days later I started showing serious fatique, and I got so shaky that I couldn't stand up safely.

Quick trip to the ER and whoa, my blood sodium level was very low. That's dangerous, so I was admitted to the ICU. A few days later I moved to a general room while the docs try to get my sodium back where it belongs and keep it there.

They're still working on that, and I'm not able to move around without hanging onto something. Please hold me, and my doctors too, in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for being my friends and keeping me company. Your thoughts are welcome too, though I may not be up to long replies.

Peace out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Steve Edmunds

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 am

Re: Good news: Robin's going home from the hospital!

by Steve Edmunds » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:18 pm

wow. Robin I hope things even out for you soon; that sounds scary, and it's painful to think of you being laid low like that. You are now in my thoughts for real. ❤️

Steve
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:10 pm

Good on you for heading for the hospital when you should have and hope you have a quick bounce-back, Robin!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:10 pm

Robin, so glad you are coming home.
While indeed my recent infection was similar to a cold, I have known people who have been far sicker in last wave (and sadly knew several who died in first).And know others who have been dealing with long covid. The more all of us can do to prevent spread, the less chance there is someone gets very ill, and the less chance an even more dangerous variant arises. That's my issue with the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers, they aren't just chancing their own health.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:34 am

Dale Williams wrote: That's my issue with the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers, they aren't just chancing their own health.

Couldn't agree more. They're putting everyone around them at risk and worst of all, the doctors and nurses in our health care system who are stuck having to treat them and making hospitals less safe for patients with non-Covid issues. We've had a serious drain in our area--doctors and nurses leaving the profession left and right.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:05 pm

Best wishes to Robin for a speedy recovery! This sounds like a very nasty complication.

I fully agree with Dale and Jenise that Covid and its mutations remain dangerous and that it is unwise to let our guard drop. The good new is that it appears that a more effective vaccine is becoming available. However, it will have to fight not only against anti-vaxxers but also against the tendency of people in general to minimise the risks and to ignore the need to take precautions.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:14 pm

Thanks loads, everyone. I’m kind of one step backwards today, but still glad to be home.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:26 pm

Glad to hear you are home and best wishes for a speedy recovery, Robin!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:55 am

Best wishes for a quick recovery. I am glad you got through the worst of it. Hang tight!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:50 am

Tim York wrote:The good new is that it appears that a more effective vaccine is becoming available.

Indeed it is! I got it yesterday.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:18 pm

Jenise wrote:
Tim York wrote:The good new is that it appears that a more effective vaccine is becoming available.

Indeed it is! I got it yesterday.

Dang! I just missed it! :roll:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Good news: Robin's home from the hospital!

by Jenise » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:17 pm

You sure did, Robin; so sorry about that. And no after-effects so far (on the Moderna dose).