The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Albalonga and Winding Road

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: The Albalonga and Winding Road

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:49 am

2002 Wittmann Westhofener Steingrube Albalonga Beerenauslese - Germany, Rheinhessen (9/17/2022)
Purchased at the estate many years ago, this was one of those wines where I was waiting for the perfect moment. Finally pulled the cork, and it was a revelation. Not the most complex dessert wine, but the clarity and intensity of the aromas and flavors was astonishing. Darjeeling tea and apricot preserves came through clear as a bell. If I had made a piece of toast I would have had breakfast! Each sip brought the same intensity and depth. It never settled into a groove. It was always a strong as on the first punch. Delicious stuff, and it breaks my heart that it no longer exists. The wines were fascinating and delicious in a unique way. Still have one bottle of the 1998 BA, and that will be a heartbreaker no matter what.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: The Albalonga and Winding Road

by Jenise » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:54 pm

Don't know the producer and I'm really not qualified to comment on Riesling, but good note, I could feel your pain. And I love saying "albalonga"--that's the most un-German name I've ever heard.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:30 pm

You don’t have to be qualified to comment on Riesling in order to comment on Albalonga!

It’s a crossing of Müller-Thurgau and Rieslaner!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:49 pm

You just proved my point. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov