The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dirupi Ole Rosso Valtellina '20....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Dirupi Ole Rosso Valtellina '20....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:49 pm

Tried this Valtelline Nebb last night:
1. Dirupi Ole DOC: Rosso di Valtellina (13%; Nebbiolo; www.dirupi.com/; GiulianaImprts/Boulder) S.A.Dirupi/Ponte/Valtellina 2020: Med.light/correct Nebb color; lovely very Nebb/floral/lilacs/violets slight pungent/tarry bit earthy/dusty/Valtelline slight pencilly quite fragrant nose; rather tart/tangy fairly tannic/hard strong floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets some earthy/tarry/pungent bit complex flavor w/ ample hard/chewey tannins; very long strong floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets light earthy/tarry slight pencilly/oak bit complex finish w/ some hard tannins; needs several yrs of age; doesn't have the soaring aromatics of Piemonte Nebb; a good/solid if slightly lightish example of Valtelline Nebb. $29.00 (SFW&S)
1. I visited Dirupi in Sondrio a few yrs after they had opened. At that time, they were focusing on being natural wines. I thought them rather unclean & rustic. So I was surprised when they showed up on the shelf at Susan's. A recent addition to the Giuliana/Boulder portfolio, and their only Valtelline producer.
They have some of the highest altitude vnyds in the Valtelline, mostly rented. The mostly farm organic, which is difficult in the Valtelline. The next morning, after standing on the counter overnight, the tannins had softened considerably & it showed more richness & lushness. Look forward to trying some of the other Dirupis.
Tom