The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Jaboulet Gripa Faurie Grahams

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: Jaboulet Gripa Faurie Grahams

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:59 pm

Notes from a small group tasting of Northern Rhones.

2016 Paul Jaboulet Aîné St. Péray Les Sauvagères – a slightly waxy nose, mid colour, clean and refreshing with a nice mineral component. 100% marsanne

2017 Domaine Bernard Gripa St. Joseph Blanc – quite similar but weightier – very nice. 70% Marsanne 330% Roussanne.

2015 Delas Frères Crozes-Hermitage Domaine des Grands Chemins – lots of soft tannin, dark fruit and spicy berry flavours. Very good for a Crozes and with a solid finish.

1982 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle – my last bottle and for me, wine of the day. It was garnet red with an orange edge, a tarry spicy nose with a hint of iodine, and a lengthy finish with dried fruit that lingered. A bit of smokiness and bacon fat developed with time. Wish I had more!

We then concentrated on a trio of Bernard Faurie Hermitages:

1987 – our expectations were fairly modest given that the three wines were from off vintages, but we were pleasantly surprised. This one was medium dark with lighter edges, a nose of funk backed by good fruit, sweet entry with mellow cranberry and black olive flavours. Lots of secondary flavour interest. Showing well.

1992 – similar with green rather than black olive featuring, and some meat in the nose. I thought it not as good as the 87 but still quite decent.

2004 – medium dark with a very nice spicy meaty nose, with a briny component and good fruit. Medium length finish. Not a particularly nuanced wine, but what was showing was correct and enjoyable.

2004 Grahams Malvedos Port – brought as a follow up to an 88 Malvedos I had opened last week. Darker and fresher with raisiny fruit and quite sweet. Showing decently now and no rush.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Jaboulet Gripa Faurie Grahams

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:20 pm

I have had that Malvedos a few times. It’s lovely.
Decisions are made by those who show up