The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2002 Numanthia Tinta de Toro

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

2002 Numanthia Tinta de Toro

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:40 pm

To celebrate wrapping up my WSET Intermediate Certification (pretty sure I aced the exam, but then again they were pretty simple, multiple choice questions), I opened a bottle of 2002 Numanthia that a client gave me as a wedding gift.

A deep reddish-purple color; smoky, earthy nose w/ a hint of wet leaves; high acidity, young/bold and slightly astringent tannins, strong black fruit, silky texture, w/ a bit of chocolate on the finish.

From the bottle: 100% Tinta de Toro grapes from 70-100 y/o vines, low yields resulting in a harvest of 1.1 ton/acre, grape must macerated for 30 days and underwent malolactic fermentation in barriques. Aged for 19 months in small Bordelaise barrels of French oak (I found the oak to be very subtle). 2900 cases botteld unfined and unfiltered in May 2004.

Bottom line: I am really enjoying this wine.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: 2002 Numanthia Tinta de Toro

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:18 am

I had a sip of the Termanthia last year. It was like pouring a flaming jack-hammer down your gullet. The only rationale I can come up with is that in 1000 years, when the fruit is finally subsiding, the tannins will have finally dissipated and the wine may at last be balanced. I know there are hoards of fans out there, but the wines are just tooo big for me.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:36 am

Bill Hooper wrote:I had a sip of the Termanthia last year. It was like pouring a flaming jack-hammer down your gullet. The only rationale I can come up with is that in 1000 years, when the fruit is finally subsiding, the tannins will have finally dissipated and the wine may at last be balanced. I know there are hoards of fans out there, but the wines are just tooo big for me.

LOL :lol:

It definitely was big. And yes...the tannins were a little obnoxious. But I found the fruit and texture to be enjoyable enough to overlook it (although my gums are still a little numb...)
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:40 am

Flaming jack-hammer seems a bit over the top, but it's true, the wine is mighty big. 30 days on the skins will do that. Advanced congrats on your WSET ticket!
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:52 pm

You're talking about two different wines - Numanthia and Termanthia.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 pm

I haven't had the Numanthia in a couple of vintages, but remember it too being pretty bruising. I do like the little Termes Tinto -still very chewy, but lots of wine for the money.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:19 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:You're talking about two different wines - Numanthia and Termanthia.

Victor, which one is the 98 pointer they talk about on eBob?? Are you thinking of mentioning all the high scores JM has just handed out (wink)?!!
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:04 pm

Termanthia 2004 got 100 points. Numanthia 2004 (a rather widely available wine in the $45 range) got 98 points.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:26 pm

What I find amusing is that folks are just now "discovering" Numanthia. It's been a bit of an internet darling for several years now. There's a less popular board called Vinocellar where Numanthia has been all the rage for 3 or 4 years.

I will admit to enjoying Numanthia, but have not had the chance to taste Termanthia.
Decisions are made by those who show up