The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two New SantaBarbara Reds....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two New SantaBarbara Reds....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:06 pm

Tasted these two last night:
1. OjaiVnyd Barbera RichVnyd/VenturaCnty (15.5%; 1 brl) 2020: Dark color; strong late hrvsty/grapey slight Barbera/spicy bit alcoholic some complex nose; soft quite sweet very ripe/late hrvsty/grapey bit alcoholic/fumey no raisened/pruney complex flavor w/ light ripe tannins; very long/lingering quite sweet soft grapey/late harvesty some alcoholic finish w/ light ripe tannins; interesting LateHrvst red that says nothing about Barbera. $38.00/hlf
2. Solminer PinotNoir AmpelosVnyd/Sta.RitaHills (13%; Pommard clone; 6 brls; U/U; Demeter Certified BioDynamic Wine) 2021: Med.light color; rather fragrant PN/cherry/black cherry fairly toasty/Fr.oak/smokey slight herbal/peppery slight Burgundian/earthy quite attractive nose; fairly tart/tangy some cherry/black cherry/PN bit earthy/dusty slightly rustic somewhat lightweight fairly toasty/oak flavor w/ light gentle tannins; long some cherry/black cherry/PN rather toasty/smokey/Fr.oak some earthy/dusty bit rustic slight complex finish w/ light bit coarse tannins; a rather interesting rendition of PN unlike most from SantaBarbara; not nearly the lush perfumed PN fruit of an Ampelos PN; a rather earthy/rustic character that actually resembles a Moric; again wish the wine had a bit more impact & intensity. $50.00
1. The Ojai was simply a late harvest red made from Barbera. Though rather grapey/alcoholic/late hrvsty, it showed none of the raisened/pruney character those wines often show. But I'm sure that character will start to come out as the wine ages.
2. The Solminer PN was a rather interesting rendition of SRH Pinot. Given David & Anna's proclivities towards Austrian wines, it reminded me, more than anything, of a Moric Blaufrankisch. The goal of Roland Velich was to elevate the Burgenland Blaufrankisch grape to the greatness he believes it deserves. As best I can tell, that involves hitting it w/ a ton of new Fr.oak. I have never been impressed by them. Nonetheless, this Solminer PN reminded me some of his wines because of the oak signature.
Tom