The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Eleanor de Caprio (Cellars)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Eleanor de Caprio (Cellars)

by Jenise » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:00 pm

2015 Caprio Cellars Eleanor Walla Walla Valley Red Bordeaux Blend

This is our first look at a '15 from a newish WA winery that doesn't have an established track record. We've only had later vintages in infancy. This wine isn't old per se, but some secondary development is in evidence which shows a lot more about the wine than I knew before. PnP'd. Almost black in the glass, it shows concentrated blackberry and cassis fruit, espresso, dusty tannins, and just a hint of green peppercorns. Dryer than typical WA, more like real Bordeaux especially in the way it rewards food. Serious structure and concentration, powerfully built but not fat, it showed best after 30 minutes, and the tannins clamped down in the 2nd hour. Dryer than typical WA, and the 14.4% alcohol doesn't show. Currently in a juvenile state but it should grow up to be a star. I have five more bottles, I'll look forward to it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov