The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: CA vs. WA, Bordeaux grapes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: CA vs. WA, Bordeaux grapes

by Jenise » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:11 pm

The Dorks got together on Saturday night and tasted the following:

2016 Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon VHR Oakville
WT's. My third experience with this wine and it remains, unequivocally, the most perfect cabernet I've ever drunk--from anywhere. A perfectly balanced mixture of dark cherry and cassis with cigar box, graphite, nutmeg and bay leaf. Neither old world nor new but in some ultra sophisticated class of its own. Outstanding.

2006 Montes: Napa Angel Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
Spicy nose but swampy with coffee grounds and some rotting cabbage. Tastes better than it smells, but it's hard to ignore that nose.

2008 Black Hills Estate Nota Bene Okanagan Valley VQA Red Bordeaux Blend
My bottle. Opened at Warren's. Found it surprisingly stiff compared to another recent bottle so decanted to open it up, which backfired. In the 2-3 hour wait to be served, it went to the dumb side showing orange peel and some strawberry jam notes--but not much else. Next day, it showed in full glory. Leave these alone for now.

2012 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District
My wine. I thought I'd read someone saying this was a "soft" vintage for Togni and drinking well right now which talked me into grabbing it. Big mistake. Saturated black fruit with interesting notes of celeriac and jasmine that will be better in 2032 than it is right now--a five hour decant hardly put a dent in it.

2010 Fall Line Winery Red Wine Artz Vineyard Red Mountain Red Bordeaux Blend
Dark fruit, decent spice, gritty tannins.

2014 Materra Cunat Reserve Oak Knoll District Red Bordeaux Blend
A-M's wine. Paraphrasing WT: Dark appearance and aroma with balanced, nuanced flavors. The antithesis of a lot of the fat, jammy reds coming out of Napa these days. Excellent.

2013 Mount Eden Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Santa Cruz Mountains
Bart's. Big fruit, structured, with this appellation's trademark granite minerality which I just adore. Everything good but probably ten years away from peak.

2014 Dehlinger Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled Russian River Valley
Erik's. Dark chocolate and sturdy blackberry fruit but otherwise one of the more savory wines of the night with a dash of sage and some bell pepper in the mix. Excellent now, but will improve with age.

2019 Reynvaan The Unnamed Series Merlot / Cabernet Sauvignon / CF Walla Walla Valley
Tim's. A CS/CF/Merlot blend that tastes more like a syrah, and not a particularly good one, with a lot of burnt rubber funk. I like Rocks funk but this was too much for now, though I do think time will be kind.

2015 Caprio Cellars Eleanor Walla Walla Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Mine. Though I know darn well these bottles deserve further aging, as a favor to both friends and this new winery I wanted to share this impressive wine. Seductively dense black and blue fruit, spectacularly spiced (Chinese 5 Spice and Christmas Spice were mentioned), barely a touch of Madasgascar vanilla and a long finish. One of the most complex wines of the night. So different and beguiling it was the wine that made everyone go to their phones to try to find it--including one of the retailers present. Mission accomplished!!

2012 Enfield Wine Co. Cabernet Sauvignon Fort Ross - Seaview
WT's. Ethereal red fruit with hints of bay leaf and cardamom. For all I've read reviews of Enfield wines I wasn't prepared for the Burgundian textures of this cabernet. Not shy, but reticently welcoming among a lot of blockbusters. Loved it.

2020 Involuntary Commitment Columbia Valley Red Blend
Belonged to Gabe who asked, after his first sip, "is honey-covered rhubarb a thing?" Vinegar nose, vinegarry red fruit from start to finish. Made by Andrew Will, but should be "Andrew Won't" based on this bottle. Hated it.

2013 Seven Stones Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Speaking Rock Similkameen Valley BC
Vicki's. "Chocolate covered tobacco" said someone. I picked up on smoked paprika, cola, blackberries and dusty tannins. Shows young for its age, has miles to go.

2013 Rasa Vineyards In Order to Form a More Perfect Union Columbia Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Opened after a 2011. A warmer vintage with dark berries, powdered sugar, and a more tannic finish. Still needs time.

2011 Rasa Vineyards In Order to Form a More Perfect Union Columbia Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Bart's. Candied dark red fruit, forest floor and Tootsie Roll. I believe this is a right bank blend--the CF shows more than the merlot at present. Smooth tannins. Excellent.

2006 Couvillion Cabernet Sauvignon Sagemoor Vineyard Columbia Valley
Tim's. Sweet and a little smokey, plenty of oak, and pretty fresh considering its age. New winery name to me, maybe they went under?

2011 Spring Valley Vineyard Frederick Walla Walla Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Doran's. Sweet and foresty with just a hint of green bell pepper, guessed it was mostly CF where in fact it's mostly CS with only 30% CF. Showed well, as most 2011's do now.

1984 Columbia Winery Cabernet Sauvignon David Lake Signature Series Red Willow Vy Yakima Valley
Erik's. Sweet foresty notes tipped blind tasters in the direction of Washington origins. Excellent on first pour, seemed younger, but died after the first hour.

1976 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Monte Bello Santa Cruz Mountains
An incredible bottle from WT. Not decanted, just Andouzed 8 hours prio, and it improved after serving. As close as it gets to immortal, apparently. A privilege.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: CA vs. WA, Bordeaux grapes

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:19 pm

Really glad you liked the Enfield.
Decisions are made by those who show up