The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

HAUT SAUTERNE Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

HAUT SAUTERNE Wine

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:35 am

My mom made a great rice dish she called risotto. No long stirrings., simply onion, mushrooms, chicken stock, seasonings and the wine. I still make it, but can not find the
wine easily. I never seem to get to Liquor Barn.
What can I use as a good substitute?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: HAUT SAUTERNE Wine

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:27 am

Karen, I assume you're talking about a domestic wine with that moniker? It's borrowed from Sauternes in France, of course, but I haven't seen or heard of it for ages. As I recall it was a somewhat sweet white, so perhaps a decent but not overly pricey California Riesling or Chenin Blanc might do the trick. Maybe Dry Creek Chenin Blanc, and then you can drink the rest! :)

That dish sounds good! Did she do it the Italian way with constant stirring as small portions of the wine evaporated? I love that, but it's a long job standing at the stove. Lots of simpler versions can be real comfort food, too.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: HAUT SAUTERNE Wine

by Dale Williams » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:59 pm

I like Robin's Dry Creek idea (or Pine Ridge Chenin/Viognier in same vein).
Looks like the Haut Sauterne is from an Ohio winery using hybrid/lambrusca grapes. I think the Taylor Lake Country is similsr cepage if you want to try and duplicate
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Haut Sauternes..

by TomHill » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:02 pm

Haut Sauternes was once a generic wine like Burgundy or Claret or Rhein Wine. It was a slightly to quite sweet white wine made from whatever grape you wanted to use. Pretty boring stuff. Mostly made in Calif. Those are now no longer permitted labels. And, of course, nothing resembling Sauternes.
Tom